• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Newera

Strange Engine on / off relay problem?

Newera
Hello all. New to the forum, as I'm at a loss what to do.

I'm having some trouble with my 205 GTi 1.9 (Japan spec LHD). It's a phase 1.5, and has developed a fault. The video below shows what's happening.
If anybody here knows what it is, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Here's a link to the video (Less than a minute): https://www.dropbox.com/t/o1bNJnSzqOXysU9K

I've looked for the tachometric relay behind the ECU, but there's only a 5 pin yellow relay there.
Didn't find anything by the left hand chassis rail, under the battery either.
Where is it??

If it's not the tachometric relay, could a failed ignition amplifier be the culprit, or the ECU, perhaps?

Any experienced advice, or help much appreciated. 

Cheers! 

DamirGTI

It's different system , what you have there is Motronic engine management .

The yellow relay next to the ECU is indeed the fuel pump relay , on Motronic there's injection supply relay and fuel pump relay - no tachymetric relay .

Jetronic engine management uses tahcymetric relay .

Seems like overcharging , undercharging , poor/loose contact , problem with voltage supply or energizing the relay etc. ..

D

SRDT

You will find two relays close to the ECU: the main relay (green) and the pump relay (yellow).

If the ECU detect a problem with the fuel pump relay the check engine light should stay on but yours isn't.

So maybe the ECU is cutting the pump because it think the engine stalled, that or the ECU itself is loosing power.