• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rorykeen

Xu9j4 into s16

Rorykeen

Hi, in need of a bit of advice please ! Will an xu9j4 fit straight into an s16 ? is it a case of unbolting the dizzy etc or is there more to it ? 

Cheers 

allanallen

Assuming this is in a 205?
The cam doesn’t have the drive for the dizzy so that’s something that needs addressing. 
exhaust will need altering to suit the cast manifold. 
taller block means you’ll have clearance issues with the brake master cylinder. 

I always found the s16 management far superior to the xu9j4 set up, I’d keep it if you can. 

Rorykeen
20 minutes ago, allanallen said:

Assuming this is in a 205?
The cam doesn’t have the drive for the dizzy so that’s something that needs addressing. 
exhaust will need altering to suit the cast manifold. 
taller block means you’ll have clearance issues with the brake master cylinder. 

I always found the s16 management far superior to the xu9j4 set up, I’d keep it if you can. 

Thanks Allen, it’s a 306 s16. I’ve bought one but it’s lacking any power and when I’ve taken off the pulley its not lined up properly so I assume it’s the valves damaged. The full engine I’ve been offered is the all alloy so the mi16 ? Mine doesn’t have the dizzy on the side of the head. I think it may be easier if I just refurb my head and keep it all std ? Would you say the bottom end would go ok ? 

Cheers

SRDT

The XU7JP4 is also a 16v with alloy block and no distributor. Does the head looks like the old S16 one or more like a GTI6 one?

Rorykeen
1 hour ago, SRDT said:

The XU7JP4 is also a 16v with alloy block and no distributor. Does the head looks like the old S16 one or more like a GTI6 one?

It looks like the s16 in mine but alloy blocked 

cheers 

Rorykeen

5751B6B7-812C-413F-BD77-05A6503183F6.thumb.jpeg.fb4d5fa0b525e8db225369f5a8f3e079.jpeg

Rorykeen

This is mine 

259E61C8-460B-4A0C-A173-42A7AE85439D.jpeg

SRDT

Yep that's a XU9J4 but it's probably more work to put it inside the 306 than to make the S16 engine go faster.

Rorykeen
25 minutes ago, SRDT said:

Yep that's a XU9J4 but it's probably more work to put it inside the 306 than to make the S16 engine go faster.

Thanks srdt, I’ll rebuild the head on mine as I want to keep it as simple as possible .I’m not really looking for more I just want it running ! 

petert

Yes, it would be a total ball ache. Whilst the engine mounts are the same, everything else is different.

welshpug

Better to time the 2.0 properly and see what happens, the RFY engine has bags of valve clearance unlike the RFS (gti6)

The lower pulley timing hole is in the fixed portion unlike the later engine, so you'd  have to be quite special to get it wrong.

The other thing on the S16 that can  make them lack power is incorrect belt tension setting due to the twin tensioners, there is a particular procedure to get it right, documented in the ZX workshop  manual.

I had a 405 Mi16  (same 2.0 engine)  a few years back that made 130 bhp on a rolling road before the belt was changed by someone that knew what they were doing, two RR runs at different rollers it pulled 160 bhp later.

Rorykeen
21 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Better to time the 2.0 properly and see what happens, the RFY engine has bags of valve clearance unlike the RFS (gti6)

The lower pulley timing hole is in the fixed portion unlike the later engine, so you'd  have to be quite special to get it wrong.

The other thing on the S16 that can  make them lack power is incorrect belt tension setting due to the twin tensioners, there is a particular procedure to get it right, documented in the ZX workshop  manual.

I had a 405 Mi16  (same 2.0 engine)  a few years back that made 130 bhp on a rolling road before the belt was changed by someone that knew what they were doing, two RR runs at different rollers it pulled 160 bhp later.

Thanks for that, When I took the bottom pulley off it’s sat here ! Any chance you have a link to the correct pulley tightening procedure ? Cheers

2FE1AA00-7206-487E-B794-F9C394979F1D.jpeg

Just to add, this is the RFT if it makes a difference and I can only see one manual tensioner ?

Edited by Rorykeen

petert

The inlet tensioner is on a plate, which pivots on the M8 bolt. It's locked by the bottom cambelt cover pin.

XU10J4 Inlet Tensioner.jpg

Edited by petert

petert

Here is the XU9J4 manual. The cam belt tensioning procedure is identical.

XU9J4_Rebuild_Manual.zip

Rorykeen
14 minutes ago, petert said:

Here is the XU9J4 manual. The cam belt tensioning procedure is identical.

XU9J4_Rebuild_Manual.zip

Thanks Peter 

Rorykeen

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I’ve taken the head off and there’s some bent valves, they aren’t even close to seating on a couple ! I think I’ll just have the head fully rebuilt, the pistons are unmarked and the bores look good so I guess this will be good to reuse ? Any quick way of testing these ? 

thanks again

Rorykeen

I have one more question please chaps ! The heads off having a rebuild, I’ve read the file Peter which is much easier than the Haynes manual ! This may sound dumb to you lot but when I put the head back on, with the cams locked into position, the pistons will all be level in the bores ? Do I want cylinders 1 and 4 on the up or downstroke? 
thankyou 

welshpug

pin the bottom end with the crank pulley, they will be mid stroke.

pin the cams and ensure that if they are not quite aligned, turn them the shortest distance to get the pin in, do not do a full turn or the valves can clash.