• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugfrank

What Grand Touring mods to do on a 205?

pugfrank

Hi all, 

I'm wondering what modification/ upgrades people would recommend for me to carry out on my 205 with the intent that I want to do some long road trips over the next couple of yrs, im based on the south coast, want to venture to Wales, Scotland or even venture across the pond and do some mountains in Europe. 

The thought of being able to get onto some of the lovely roads I keep seeing on numerous journalists reports and bloggers videos is the only thing keeping me going, as I slowly continue with putting my 205 back together as I broke it down a year ago to get the rusty metal sorted.

I'm replacing small bits as I go on the car, fuel lines, hoses etc everything worked on the car before it came of the road, and it will receive all service items too as I build back up.  

I'm really interested in everyone's experiences to what small mods I can make along the way of my rebuild that would be of use for future proofing my car for happy miles ahead!

I dont mind modding the car tastefully, quite like to keep period mods.  This forum has a vast variety of knowledge through the years and I'm relatively young compared to how long these super little cars have been around.  So it would be really nice and interesting to read and hear about ppl's experiences and advice if you have the time. 

Thanks

James

Anthony

The single biggest thing for long distance road trips in my opinion is to make sure that the car is well maintained and reliable - it goes without saying that it's no fun being broken down at the side of the road, miles from home, your trip plans in disarray, but equally, nursing a car with issues or that's in poor fettle will constantly be at the back of your mind and reduce your confidence and enjoyment of it.

I've taken standard 1.9 GTi's on many road trips over the years, including the Scottish Highlands, West coast of Ireland and European road trips covering the Alps and Dolomites, and I've loved every trip.

Other than fleetingly wishing that it had aircon when stuck in a traffic jam for a couple of hours in the baking sunshine, I'm not sure that there's a whole lot of mods or additions I wish the car had during those trips - others might not agree, but I reckon that as a standard GTI makes a surprisingly good car for long distance road trips, and many mods while perhaps improving things in one particular area, potentially worsen the overall package.  Perhaps additional sound proofing wouldn't be a bad shout if the car is apart - the weight penalty is minimal but it makes for a more pleasant, civilised place to sit for hours on end, even more so if you're travelling with a partner / friend(s) in the car so that you don't have to constantly raise your voice to be heard.  Otherwise, while not fast it's quick enough, the suspension is supple, the seats comfortable, it's fairly practical, and a consideration in todays world, it's pretty frugal fuel economy wise too.

The one thing I can say that I love and wouldn't swap for the world though is the factory sunroof - I know non-sunroof cars were all the rage for many years, but for me, having the roof open cruising through the mountains, sunshine flooding in and the wind in the remnants of my hair just makes everything better somehow.

barneys66

Great idea - I'd love to do the same.

Anthony's idea about sound profing is a good one.  There'll be lots of nice driving to do at your destinations, but getting there is the boring/practical bit.  I'd say a good stereo, cruise control, perhaps even air-conditining.

All of these could be discreet and/or reversible.

welshpug

Big capacity  engine with appropriate gearing, ac, quick rack with pas.

Sound deadening.  B)

SRDT

Six speed gearbox : close ratios and a 6th for the highways.

Robbiedundy

Cup holder

Tom Fenton

Some good shouts above, but what I'd say is don't dwell on it too much. Do all of the stuff mentioned above and you could turn it into a 10 year project.

I drove my then totally standard 1.6 GTI on the PSOOC tour in 2008 across France to the Belgian border including Reims and the Paris Peripherique. OK the standard 1.6 GTI gearing is a bit revvy for long distance motorway, but the car will happily do it, surprisingly good on fuel too, 40+mpg at 70/75mph cruise.

Make sure its maintained well and just go and do it.

wicked

As above, most important is that it should be well maintained and serviced. 

Although the standard gti seats are pretty ok for an 80s car, in my GTI I replaced them with proper buckets seats and deep dish steering wheel and must say that on long journeys it is less exhausting.

And stereo with bluetooth streaming...