• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

Bilstein shock absorbers ... matching settings?

lagonda

I ordered a pair of Bilstein front struts, 22-040916 ... and the dimwits sent me just one ... plus a front spring .... for a 306! They refunded me promptly, but have never requested/collected the incorrect order. 3 months have gone by and I want to get on with the job, especially as the OS driveshaft seal must have been damaged when I changed the clutch, and is now leaking. I already had a spare new NS seal, so ordered an OS one. Except, I ordered a NS one! Doh!

Anyway, I suspect not an issue, but if  just buy one more 22-040916, (obviously not from the same seller as the one I have!), is there a possibilty settings may differ? I would imagine these are precisely calibrated at manufacture, but would like reassurance ...

jord294

Are you ordering for 205 gti? If so, numbers are

22-041043

22-041050

lagonda

Thanks Andy, but no, mine's a CTi so I have to suffer base model suspension, thanks to Peugeot's bean counters!

Anthony
5 hours ago, lagonda said:

Anyway, I suspect not an issue, but if  just buy one more 22-040916, (obviously not from the same seller as the one I have!), is there a possibilty settings may differ? I would imagine these are precisely calibrated at manufacture, but would like reassurance ...

It should be fine - the dampers wouldn't have been precisely matched anyway and you wouldn't have been guaranteed two from the same batch when ordering (could have been one freshly ordered from the distributor and one that had been sat on the shelf gathering dust for years for example).

I don't know if Bilstein ever make specification changes and carry over the same part number (normally it's the other way around - same damper and they change the part numbers!) but IMO you'd be pretty unlucky if that happened in a ~3 month window anyway, especially for a car that went out of production 25 odd years ago.

I'm in the same position and have ended up with one brand new boxed Bilstein B4 rear damper that's been sat in my garage since before Covid, and when the time comes, I will be happy to team that with a newly bought one of the same part number.

lagonda

That's reassuring, great, I'll buy another.

wicked
5 hours ago, lagonda said:

Thanks Andy, but no, mine's a CTi so I have to suffer base model suspension, thanks to Peugeot's bean counters!

Still I would buy Gti dampers, since the have that tab to connect the arb rods. You can just leave them open and still be able to upgrade to gti subframe later. 

Remember left and right are different, so you need to have a different number for the other side.