• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
drj545

205 GTI 1.9 Strut Top Mount Alternatives

drj545

Can anyone suggest a top mount suitable for 1.9 struts that’s from another car (306, Berlingo)? My top mounts look a little crusty/thin, and I can’t find 205 items readily available. 

I think I only need the very top part, that is the plate with the 3 bolts that mount onto the car. 

Tom Fenton

Sandblast your metalwork and re use it. Nothing else from other models will fit other than 309 stuff which will be no easier to get. Bearings themselves and rubbers are easy to get hold of.

drj545

I think that’s what I’ll have to do. On first glance I thought they were goosed, but having just looked at the worst one it might be salvageable.  It was the big flakes of rust that were putting me off using them. 

C2F6ECEB-BA0A-4F04-8E4E-55690BE61292.jpeg

AF0658E4-1289-412D-8C53-B75199998F46.jpeg

Edited by drj545

Gohn

they look really bad to me (no road salt here) but good to hear you can blast and reuse

also, those corroded parts are the same on all 205's and 309's

(the GTi strut assembly is only different in the shock, spring, and bump stop)

so another alternative is to source a decent set of spring cups and tops from a base model anywhere

also, compressed springs are dangerous

avoid dismantling and reassembling struts using spring compressors if possible

for safety recommend you go to a shop with a proper machine, might cost a few pounds but no risk

Leslie green

Those look really bad and 1 stud is missing , winters in Scotland are harsh on cars  ! , you should be able to find some better replacements on ebay 

Edited by Leslie green

Davidmccall

Can som one tell me  what i have done wrong . I have put the serspensjon leg back togeather i reverse order and Therese  a gap At the topp.

Screenshot_20230626_200151_Photos.jpg

j_turnell
11 minutes ago, Davidmccall said:

Can som one tell me  what i have done wrong . I have put the serspensjon leg back togeather i reverse order and Therese  a gap At the topp.

Screenshot_20230626_200151_Photos.jpg

Could be very soft rubber mounts. Did you put the large washer back on the top of the strut insert?