• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

C0rnflakes

TU3 turbo setups

C0rnflakes

Hey all,

I've got a 205 GR from 1989 with a 1.4 TU3 engine and a Solex carb. I'm looking to boost it with a little turbo for some fun + the cool whoosh noise ;-) Does anyone have experience with boosting this carb/engine config, or could give any recommendations on how it's done? I know the fundamentals but haven't got a clue about how to run the turbo. I'm thinking to run a blow-through setup, but not sure what kind of sealing/pressure setups would be needed for the carb. Would love some advice on this! The more in-depth the better really!

Everything else on the car is stock aside from a Cherry bomb backbox. Think it's a TU3A, and I've got the MA5 box mated to it. I do know a bit of MIG welding but ideally looking for something cheap+bolt-on if possible!

Thanks in advance,

Will

Type-R

Not sure if the carb could handle boost through it, most can't. I would switch to EFI, if not, perhaps see if the Renault 5 GT Turbo carb will fit.

SPA Turbo in Brazil do cast iron manifolds, IMO good value. Also, the MA gearbox won't like the boost at all. A TU5 cylinder head will lower the compression ratio, and you can get a recurved dizzy from H+H.

Edited by Type-R

SRDT

If you want to use a stock carb you need to put it inside a pressurised chamber, I think that's what was done on the early Maserati Biturbo. This is the only way to have it work as usual with no internal mods but you may have a vapor lock problem if it gets too hot in there.

Other than that find one of the few factory turbo carbs like the SU HIF 44 from the MG Metro turbo, that's probably your best bet.

On a 205 you could use a BE gearbox with a BE/TU bellhousing but then you are going a bit far from a cheap and simple setup. The faster and cheaper way to get a working turbo on a 205 is still to dump a XU10J2TE engine inside.

C0rnflakes

Ah got it! Starting to sound like a challenge! From what you’ve both said, I think the XU swap with a different box might be the best bet. Can’t hurt to keep the TU engine + Gearbox as a spare either! Thank you so much for the advice too. I really appreciate it! 

Will

SRDT

The XU swap isn't extremely quick nor easy when starting from a carb TU 205 but almost all necessary parts can be picked from the PSA parts bin and you don't have to play with fueling or ignition setup.

C0rnflakes
1 minute ago, SRDT said:

The XU swap isn't extremely quick nor easy when starting from a carb TU 205 but almost all necessary parts can be picked from the PSA parts bin and you don't have to play with fueling or ignition setup.

Perfect! Are there any interchangeable engine accessories between the XU and TU? Also, guessing I should break out the wiring diagrams!!!