• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
base-1

Rear Disc Brakes Misalignment

base-1

I went to fit new rear brakes earlier, but the caliper vs the disc offset is wrong by approx. the thickness of one pad. 

Figure this is probably something that will be obvious, I don't think the disc offset is wrong but maybe it is, or perhaps they're actually 306 calipers or something. The disc does seem a little far away from the backplate, but it is an 80s design so maybe that's just how they were.... I am really not enjoying being so out of the loop with 205s :lol:

Any insight much appreciated :) 

edit: penultimate photo is basically "rest" position of caliper, about central on the sliders. Last photo is full travel, outer pad doesn't quite fit still.

IMG20220612190615.gif

IMG20220612190517.gif

IMG20220612190501.gif

IMG20220612185652.gif

IMG20220612185507.gif

IMG20220612181204.gif

IMG20220612181140.gif

Edited by base-1
caliper photo

dcc

could be my eyes playing tricks on me, but have you wound the caliper piston all the way back?

Tom Fenton
8 hours ago, dcc said:

could be my eyes playing tricks on me, but have you wound the caliper piston all the way back?

this

jord294

I've seen bent stub axle pins cause this. 

base-1

I think piston is all the way in, will double check but I don't think that's the problem. At full scale deflection on the sliders, there's still no room for an outside pad, so literally can't assemble it.

After some digging around, I found the old discs and calipers that I thought I'd already binned off. Calipers are a match, the disc offset is not though, hence the issue.

Could this be an ABS/non-ABS thing maybe? I wasn't aware of a difference there but maybe I just never came across it before, or just forgot over the years. I do have ABS hubs on the back for some reason. Or am I on 206/306 discs somehow?

welshpug

306 abs disc is taller, so you would have  the opposite  of this problem,  the discs would hit the dust shield.

Unless you have 306 hubs and stub axles fitted, which if you have an abs ring, certainly sounds like you do.

I would pop the bearing grease cap off and make sure the nut is on all the way!

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

Check the height of your discs, 306 is 26mm, 205 is 20.5mm

base-1

The old discs are approx 5mm taller so I guess that's it then! Weird :blink: ah well just old Peugeot things I guess lol :rolleyes: Thanks everyone!

welshpug

Someone has used 306 trailing arms to do a rebuild most likely.

Edited by welshpug

base-1

Yeah must be, the beam has been rebuilt in the past. I wouldn't have thought they were that desperate for parts 11+ years ago but there we go :huh:

Tom Fenton

It gives approx. 10mm extra track width per side, plus you used to be able to buy complete 306 trailing arms for buttons complete with the disc and caliper etc if converting a drum braked car. So perhaps someone did it on purpose.

Anthony
8 hours ago, base-1 said:

Yeah must be, the beam has been rebuilt in the past. I wouldn't have thought they were that desperate for parts 11+ years ago but there we go :huh:

Was the car otherwise standard and unmolested, or had it been modified?  A few years back using 306/Xsara/ZX trailing arms to increase negative camber on the rear was all the rage, and it was a modification done to many a "fast road" or track day car (typically with 309 wishbones to add more negative camber on the front).

base-1

Totally standard car apart from an induction kit when I bought it about 10 years ago. Probably just done for cheapness/ease converting drums yeah! 

Thanks guys! No big deal in the end, only a little bit of time and money wasted.... anyone need a set of 205 rear discs? :lol: