• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

James85

Hey folks, recently picked up a 1.6 205 gti, seems to drive perfect and starts on the button, noticed a few oil drops under it tho after a drive, doesn’t seem to be leaking when sitting just after driving it,  been trying to trace the leak, its dripping from the drivers side wish bone area, not sure where it’s originating from, round one of the cylinder head bolt looks damp so possibly there, just wondered if anyone has any suggestions on where to look/ investigation further. 

PhilNW

What does the oil smell like, engine oil or gearbox oil? 

Clean the whole thing off and check again

Post a photo

Edited by PhilNW

James85

I thought gear box oil initially , as the seller highlighted to me the driveshaft seal into the gear box seal had a slight leak and has arranged to pay for this to be repaired, but it deffo looks like engine oil, not sure in the difference in smells but from my understanding is gearbox oil more pink and thicker, this is gold and feels like engine oil 

James85
34 minutes ago, PhilNW said:

What does the oil smell like, engine oil or gearbox oil? 

Clean the whole thing off and check again

39707CCC-9078-4F5E-B1EB-A4E14E392E1E.jpeg

66EB7DC5-E9D0-4B61-94B4-D93537598F09.jpeg

75B72BC6-06CD-4589-AFC4-0EFBA4F3D659.jpeg

C0787F1A-7370-4E11-97CB-6F6363235D22.jpeg

welshpug

I'd pop the upper belt cover off to check inside,  looking at how wet the driveshaft is but not the back of the head I'd say its likely  to be an oil seal and the oil is being slung around from the driveshaft.

Note the gear oil should definitely  not be red/pink, but a very close colour to engine oil, it does however  have a certain aroma!

James85
12 minutes ago, welshpug said:

I'd pop the upper belt cover off to check inside,  looking at how wet the driveshaft is but not the back of the head I'd say its likely  to be an oil seal and the oil is being slung around from the driveshaft.

Note the gear oil should definitely  not be red/pink, but a very close colour to engine oil, it does however  have a certain aroma!

Thanks bud I’ll try that, I had it ideling for a good 20-30mins and not a drop , took it for a 20min drive and that how the drive shaft looked 

Richie-Van-GTi

Unlikely that gear oil will make it to the offside wishbone as the intermediate bearing is in the way.

My immediate suspicion would be camshaft oil seal

• Like 1

James85
6 hours ago, Richie-Van-GTi said:

Unlikely that gear oil will make it to the offside wishbone as the intermediate bearing is in the way.

My immediate suspicion would be camshaft oil seal

am

i right in thinking the only place gearbox oil would come from is the gearbox seal in pic 3? That area is clean 

Edited by James85

PhilNW
1 hour ago, James85 said:

am

i right in thinking the only place gearbox oil would come from is the gearbox seal in pic 3? That area is clean 

Yes

The amount of oil on the 2nd pic suggests a serious engine oil leak. 

Edited by PhilNW

Tideee
2 hours ago, PhilNW said:

Yes

The amount of oil on the 2nd pic suggests a serious engine oil leak. 

Agree - seems to be a fair bit of oil around the lower end - could be crankshaft seal but definitely worth getting the belt covers off and having a look inside - good luck ;)

James85

Cheers guys, got it booked into garage Thursday, will hold off driving it till then and see what they say 

Tom Fenton

Typically black oil is engine oil. Gold oil is gearbox oil.

James85
10 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Typically black oil is engine oil. Gold oil is gearbox oil

engine oil just changed so that is gold too hhaha, think it’s gone black cause it’s mixing with the dirt on the wish bones and axles etc

Gohn

no need to wait for the mechanic

whip off the timing cover and have a look see

its more fun, learn more and pay less

go orn

James85
3 hours ago, Gohn said:

no need to wait for the mechanic

whip off the timing cover and have a look see

its more fun, learn more and pay less

go 

Been leaking since I bought it so the seller said he will cover the costs to repair , so just gonna hand this one to the professionals lol

Richie-Van-GTi

On this image it almost looks like the back corner of the cam cover is leaking.

66EB7DC5-E9D0-4B61-94B4-D93537598F09.jpeg.f080e8d2cec69a6d18a5882d1a76a3c5.jpeg

James85

Hopefully it’s nothing serious, It’s gonna get a proper once over tomorrow 

pug_ham
On 6/6/2022 at 6:52 PM, James85 said:

engine oil just changed

I wonder if they changed the sump plug washer.

I've seen it once when someone tried to reuse the crush-able washer because they'd forgotten to get a new one before doing an oil change & initially it was fine so they thought they'd got away with it, only to find it leaked when the engine had been on a good run & the oil nicely warmed.

Oil sprayed off the back of the sump onto the wishbone, subframe & lower engine mount like in your picture.

g