• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Vasco Morais

1.6 Gti Phase 1.5 Fuel Pump Question

Vasco Morais

Dear everyone.
This is my first post of many (hopefully)
I own two 205's one is a Roland Garros 1.4 Cabrio and i'm currently restoring a 205 1.6 GTi 1988 phase 1.5 to it's full glory.

my fuel pump died and i am looking for a new one.
The Fuel pump i have is exacly like the one attached in the photo.
I can dissasemble the pump inside this "shell" but i can't find the exact pump to fit inside it.
As for a new complete unit, autodoc has some models that can be a direct replacement (maybe?) but they are phisically different from this original one.
To make matters worse, some pumps state 1.1 bars, others state 3 bars.

If you want to take a look at autodoc here's the link (i hope i'm not breaking any forum rules, if i am , my apologies to the mods i wont do it again)
https://www.auto-doc.pt/search?keyword=bomba+combusitvel&maker_id=88&model_id=200&car_id=2309

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards from Portugal

busco-bomba-gasolina-205-gti-1600.jpg

Vasco Morais

The pump inside it is a bosch 0580464993

these are expensive a.f., but after some research i found out these are also lancia pumps, so i went with a much cheaper 

MAGNETI MARELLI 313011300074

i am still waiting for the pump to arrive, but i'll keep you guys posted if it works or not.
also this pump is 4 bars vs 3.5 from the bosch so maybe it's an improvement? hope the old fuel lines handle it before i have time to replace the entire thing

Tideee
2 hours ago, Vasco Morais said:

these are expensive a.f., but after some research i found out these are also lancia pumps, so i went with a much cheaper 

i am still waiting for the pump to arrive, but i'll keep you guys posted if it works or not.
also this pump is 4 bars vs 3.5 from the bosch so maybe it's an improvement? hope the old fuel lines handle it before i have time to replace the entire thing

Hi Vasco - do you know from which Lancia the fuel pumps are the same please ?? Thanks 

DamirGTI

No !!! ... Magneti Marelli fuel pumps are cheap Chinese crap pumps like the ones you can find on Aliexpress , Alibaba and the likes for peanuts $$  - same pumps just with the Magneti Marelli logo printed on them .

Overall , nowadays Magneti Marelli parts are heavily Chinese based .. best to be avoided especially for such parts like fuel pumps , timing belts , timing chains and the likes ..

My advice is - go for the Bosch pump (new Bosch pumps are made in Czechoslovakia) , it does cost but it's the only one that really work .

Optionally , put up wanted add here for an used OE Bosch pump .. they tend to last for very long time (old ones especially Bosch made in Germany or Spain)

I've taken apart a few of the OE pumps , and managed to save/fix them ... they usually lock cause of the stale fuel (fuel varnish blocks pump roller cell mechanism on the bottom)

*993 pump is usually a bit more pricey , try *998 it's the same/identical pump and little bit lower priced than the *993 ..

There's even a few other Bosch pumps which can be made to fit in the OE pump housing .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Richie-Van-GTi
20 hours ago, Vasco Morais said:

The pressure is dictated by the fuel regulator on the rail so a higher pressure pump wont make any difference.

Vasco Morais
On 6/2/2022 at 2:56 PM, Tideee said:

Hi Vasco - do you know from which Lancia the fuel pumps are the same please ?? Thanks 

Hi, acordingly to google, these 313011300074 are from a Thema.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, DamirGTI said:

No !!! ... Magneti Marelli fuel pumps are cheap Chinese crap pumps like the ones you can find on Aliexpress , Alibaba and the likes for peanuts $$  - same pumps just with the Magneti Marelli logo printed on them .

Overall , nowadays Magneti Marelli parts are heavily Chinese based .. best to be avoided especially for such parts like fuel pumps , timing belts , timing chains and the likes ..

My advice is - go for the Bosch pump (new Bosch pumps are made in Czechoslovakia) , it does cost but it's the only one that really work .

Optionally , put up wanted add here for an used OE Bosch pump .. they tend to last for very long time (old ones especially Bosch made in Germany or Spain)

I've taken apart a few of the OE pumps , and managed to save/fix them ... they usually lock cause of the stale fuel (fuel varnish blocks pump roller cell mechanism on the bottom)

*993 pump is usually a bit more pricey , try *998 it's the same/identical pump and little bit lower priced than the *993 ..

There's even a few other Bosch pumps which can be made to fit in the OE pump housing .

D

That's a first for me. Magneti Marelli have great reputation, besides everything is made in china nowadays. i'll remember this when my fuel pump fails next time (if it fails) and i'll be sure to tag you. i already bought the pump so... can't undo that now. i will remember to buy a spare 998 just in case parts become scarce.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, Richie-Van-GTi said:

The pressure is dictated by the fuel regulator on the rail so a higher pressure pump wont make any difference.

Yes indeed, but it's allways good to have a powerful pump i think

Vasco Morais
On 6/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, DamirGTI said:

D

How do you open this fuel pump btw?

DamirGTI

Need to uncrimp it from the above , but very carefully so that you do not damage the outer pump sleeve , then pull the pump assembly out from the sleeve ..

I posted here pictures of disassembling the fuel pump 2-3 years ago , but simply cannot find that topic now .

Try searching via google , as forum search function isn't all that great .

Fiat Croma shares the same pump as 205 GTi (it's the *998 pump in Croma)

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Vasco Morais

Magneti Marelli pump has arrived and i have replaced the bosch with the new pump.
both pumps are exacly the same size but i found that the magneti is a bit noisy. You can't really hear it once you put your seat back into place and even less when the car is running (i primed the pump using a wire in the relay plug.

My car runs like sh** atm btw, but i was able to finally get it rolling out of the garage and give it a good clean.

DamirGTI

Not that long ago , one forum member had rather "interesting" engine running problems after replacing the OE fuel pump for an cheap pump from Aliexpress ..

Much was tired , but to no avail ... until he bought and fitted OE Bosch pump , was finally fixed .

Fuel pressure with cheap knock off pumps tend to be all over the place , cause of the bad quality internal pump parts and pump assembly .

As with anything Chinese made (without strict quality control) , you might get lucky once or twice and it'll be good , other times it'll be simply put crap .

D