• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

New replacement/aftermarket valves ?!

DamirGTI

Gents ,

Any idea which aftermarket valve brand is best/worth buying quality wise ? 

- Osvalt

- TRW

- AE (Federal Mogul)

- BGA

- Freccia

.... haven't bought any for quite a while , thus unsure of the nowadays quality with regards to the aftermarket valves .

It's LPG converted 1.8 Nissan QG18DE , two exhaust valves are pretty badly pitted and one just started "burning" on the valve margin corner .

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

SRDT

LPG isn't good for valves and seats, you should check if QG18DEN valves or seats are special.

DamirGTI

Surprisingly , It's just these two exhaust valves on which the seats are severely damaged (and one of those "started" burning) , all the rest inlet/exhaust are fine and cleaned up easily/quickly with fine grade grinding paste .

These two , i tried to lap/resurface but the pitting is way too deep , and obviously the more i grind them the deeper they fall down the combustion chamber thus decided to give up on them .. especially when i spotted burning mark on one .

All the valve seats in the head are good , including the ones in which the two bad exhaust valves where in .

It has "valve saver kit" (Flashlube) installed , but was driven without the fluid in the tank for god knows how long ! ... unsure if that made them valves go bad or something might be wrong with the LPG injector on that cylinder No. 4 .. or could be something else (typically for "QG" Nissan engines was burning a lot of oil cause of worn/caked up oil control rings , i'm currently doing full engine rebuild) .

D

petert

Wow. My TB42E Nissan Patrol has done about 300000Km on LPG and I've never touched it. If the metallurgy of the seats, valves and guides is good, there isn't a problem.

DamirGTI

Y60 is an proper old school robust Japanese engine , this new Nissan-Renault QG's are kinda like sewing machine toys for baby girls !

Anyhow , still unsure if it's LPG which caused this (but kinda think it did..).. complete list of the previous owners of the subject vehicle is unknown , all i know the last/current owner is a type of a driver who goes by the "till the wheels tear us apart" maintenance .

Interestingly i've had PSA XU's also on LPG and never had single valve looking like the above ...

People/garages who does LPG conversions often say Japanese cars/engines tend to be tricky for LPG , on some they even refuse to do the LPG conversion cause of the fear of valve train problem ?!

D

DamirGTI

So .....

Anybody bought any of the aftermarket valves recent years ?!

If not in this day and age , i'd go with TRW as they used to be very good ... but nowadays , TRW valves seems to be of dubious metallurgy and inconsistent quality .

Anyhow , few phone calls and chit-chat with the machine shops , they recommend - "Intervalves" , apparently Swiss made and often OE supplier for various EU car brands .

Really can't wait for the OE Nissan parts due to the +/- 15days till they arrive , as there's none in stock in this rabbit hole country ..

What's the catch with the BGA brand , says "Made in UK" on the boxes ? are BGA parts really UK made ?

(used a fair few their timing chain kits , and "touch wood" , they're proven good no complains ..)

D