• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

Xsara VTS beam rebuild

Leslie green

That accident was a real shame . as said above never let them take it away as you wont get it back , I learned this many years ago when I was offered 1/3 the "agreed value" on an old 325 coupe I crashed , they already had the car and after the excess  was paid I got very little back .

pug_ham
On 8/4/2022 at 6:01 PM, Anthony said:

It's been reborn as baked bean tins :( 

My best guess is that the damage was done it was jump started, but I'll never know exactly what happened

Bugger, possibly a voltage spike fried the BSi.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, Tom Fenton said:

Too late now but for future reference never let them take the car away, recover it to your property and let them deal with it from there.

Yeah, wish I'd kept it with me now but initially I was unsure of the drive-ability until after we moved it onto the recovery truck, by which time it was too late.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:12 PM, dcc said:

Pretty sure it's still Cat A and B, a non road worth non breaker, B is non road worth breaker (not to go back on the road), but N is non structural damage and S is structural (ala Cat C and D), neither need an inspection to go back on the road. (Last bit might have changed)

Yeah, they've altered the categories again a few years ago.

Category A

A Cat A insurance designation is assigned to any vehicle that has sustained such serious damage that it should never return to the road. The vehicle should be crushed, and even normally salvageable parts should also be destroyed. This limits the vehicle value to scrap metal value only.

Category B

Like Cat A vehicles, Cat B vehicles should never return to the road. The requirement with a Category B car is that the body shell should be crushed. The difference to Cat A is that parts can be reclaimed and used in other roadworthy vehicles.

Category S

A Category S car is one that has sustained some sort of structural damage, more serious than just a cosmetic issue. As such, a Cat S damaged vehicle will need to be professionally repaired. These vehicles are considered as being a salvage category and as such can be repaired and returned to the road. Examples of Cat S damage include:

A bent or twisted chassis

A collapsed crumple zone

Damaged suspension

This category was previously known as Category C.

Category N

Vehicles that have been assigned as a Category N vehicle are deemed as having an issue that is not economical to repair. This can be any sort of non-structural issue that would make the car unsafe on the road. Reasons could include:

Issues with brakes or braking system

Problems with steering

Other safety-related issues

Issues with the vehicle electrics rendering it unsafe

This category was previously known as Category D.

Hopefully this will be sorted this week, I was on nights last week & the desk engineer had tried to contact me on Friday morning about it.

g

pug_ham

Well it's all sorted & I have the car back, with a OK pay out for it too.

DSC_4886.thumb.JPG.2591fdc234933a5c185960821762d6e7.JPG

I'll start to strip it next month but it started first turn of the key (as always).

Copart & whoever else has handled the car has manged to damage the drives door where the wing was pushed back but I doubt there was any demand for it anyway.

g

Anthony
3 hours ago, pug_ham said:

Well it's all sorted & I have the car back, with a OK pay out for it too.

That's good news - I feared that you wouldn't see the car again when you said that Copart had it, but I guess it back and a reasonable payout is all that you could hope for (well, other than it having been classified as a CAT N/S so you could have fixed it should you have wanted to I 'spose)

• Like 1

pug_ham
4 hours ago, Anthony said:

That's good news - I feared that you wouldn't see the car again when you said that Copart had it, but I guess it back and a reasonable payout is all that you could hope for (well, other than it having been classified as a CAT N/S so you could have fixed it should you have wanted to I 'spose)

Yeah, I had my suspicions that actually getting it back once Copart had their hands on it and the classification of damage level they'd grouped it into might prove interesting but, all praise to Aviva (quotemehappy) and their desk engineer it was a painless affair.

I got a nice bit more than I bought it for (even after the retention fee) & still have all the bits I'd want from it along with various other pricier parts to sell on after I've stripped it.

Basically, I'm keeping the box & rack, other than that it, everything is up for grabs.

Just a shame I don't have a bit more space as I fear I might be missing a good Clio 182 that's local slip out of reach until I can get rid this & my C4 to generate the extra funds to get it.

g

jord294

If axle for sale, what is price please 

pug_ham
9 hours ago, jord294 said:

If axle for sale, what is price please 

It will be, I'll have a think on price when I get the car stripped of the bits I want & start a topic on here.

I've another 306 tube as well that I've no longer any use for as I won't be replacing it with a similar car.

g

Leslie green

Good outcome  in the end but the amount of stories of cars that go to salvage yards then come back with further forklift .bumper/panels/floor  damage etc is scary .

Edited by Leslie green

pug_ham
On 8/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, Leslie green said:

the amount of stories of cars that go to salvage yards then come back with further forklift .bumper/panels/floor  damage etc is scary .

Yeah, I haven't exactly gone over the car closely but at present the only damage I can find additional to the front wing etc is the drivers door where it's been bent by contact with the wing by them opening the door.

There doesn't appear to have been any forklift use & the driver who dropped it off said he drove it onto his truck and was surprised how well it started.

I'm going to start stripping any bits off it I can see that'll be easily moved on and then decide how to get rid of the remains once the kids are back in school next month.

g

• Like 1