• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
s34nog

Not Starting/Cutting Out - No Fuel No Spark

s34nog

Hi,

1993 K-plate 1.9 has been stored for last 6 months. Took it out to start/warm up and all went well. After about 20 mins idling, the engine stopped. It wouldn't start again til cold. At this stage it was turning over and getting a spark. Tried it from cold a few times and it was the same.

Took the chance and drove it down to local mechanic this morning. After less than 10 minutes running, it stopped. We discovered then that the fuel pump isn't getting any power to it, and now there is no spark either.

Had a similar problem last year re cutting out. The distributor was checked at the time and was OK. Finally replaced the crank pulse sensor and that cured it. More or less went straight into the garage at that stage. 

Anyone else encountered this? Maybe a bit specific given its a phase II cat car (Motronic). Was originally thinking it could be two separate problems but this would be a bit of a coincidence. 

Grateful for any ideas!

DamirGTI

I'd guess ignition module or coil .

Inlet manifold mounted square coils on later Motronic 205's often go bad .. wile earlier inner wing mounted cylindrical coils last for ages .

D

SRDT

With no signal from the crank sensor the ECU won't fire the coil nor power the fuel pump.

The new crank sensor could be the culprit if it's a cheap one, or maybe fidling with the loom is what solved the problem when you changed it last year.

s34nog

Thanks. The coil was the first thing i tried last time and pretty sure I put a new ignition coil on too. These didnt cure it until the crank sensor went on. I'll try a new one and see. 

Can two-pin adaptors for diagnostic tools still be found? Would be nice to plug it in and perhaps save some trial-and-error pain...

SRDT

Yes you can find 2 pin adaptors, if you don't have any diag tool to go with it you can also use some wire and a switch to read the fault codes directly with the blinking light on the dash.