• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ScoobyJawa

Another front wiper washer problem!

ScoobyJawa

Been reading through some other threads on this and tried a Few things mentioned on here.

for a while they’ve not been great, but did enough to get through the MOT, but now the washer pump does not activate at all.

I’ve hard wired the pump to the battery and it works perfectly.

so I set to checking some voltages…..

voltage directly across battery terminals = 12.75, with ignition on 12.65

voltage at the washer pump plug is 4.25 with the ignition on, and when the stalk is pulled it goes up to around 11.65 to 11.90 but it’s jumping around this range, not constant but doesn’t drop lower. When stalk is let go it returns to previous voltage.

I guess it’s time to do some checking with an incandescent bulb too to see what the current looks like.

anything else I should check?

Edited by ScoobyJawa

pug_ham

Earth point is the usual culprit for these imo but the column stalk can cause intermittent issues.

If you haven't already, I'd reterminate all the spade connectors to ring terminals on the headlamp panel earth point & just bolt them through the old earthing plate mount bolt.

g

Tom Fenton

The crap unsealed connectors don’t help, trace the power wire back to the bulkhead, you may well find it’s all black corroded copper for quite a way. Chop it out fit wire that is copper not corrosion!

Also as Graham rightly says the earth blocks cause all sorts of issues with the washers headlights indicators etc, ring terminals is a much better idea.

ScoobyJawa

Thanks guys, I’ll check it all out with a bulb, but will re-Earth it too and try and trace the wire, won’t be the first thing to be replaced with ring connectors!

ScoobyJawa

Sorted. Took the washer bottle out, thoroughly cleaned it and the pump which were full of years old algae crap, polished up the pump contacts with sandpaper, did the best I could with the plug and a micro screwdriver, put it all back together and hey presto, all working. Happy days. Can book in the mot now!