• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

adybatt

Clutch Adjustment 89 1.6 CTI

adybatt

Hi all, hoping for some guidance on an ongoing clutch issue i'm have with my 89 1.6 CTI.

The issue is i have to push it through the floor to have any hope of shifting gears smoothly. To the point that if i put floor mats in, i don't stand a chance. It doesn't feel good, or smooth/linear, almost like pushing the brakes on a modern car with the engine off.

Engine and box were fully rebuilt 2 years ago, i don't recall having the problem before the rebuild. A year or so ago i went and got a second opinion and was informed that the wrong cable was installed, and had a new clutch fitted at the same time. Things improved a bit, but are now to the point it's a problem again.

From what i can see, and according to the Haynes, the cable cannot be adjusted any further.

Any suggestions / guidance greatly appreciated. Other than this, the car is running great!

Many thanks

Thijs_Rallye
33 minutes ago, adybatt said:

From what i can see, and according to the Haynes, the cable cannot be adjusted any further.

What do you mean by this? No more threads left on the cable or something else?

I assume it is a BE1 gearbox? (lift up reverse, left to first gear)

adybatt

Thanks for the quick response!

1 hour ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

Yes, the cable is as short as it will go. (it's my understanding that the cable should be shortened to raise the biting point). attaching a picture as well.

1 hour ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

I assume it is a BE1 gearbox? (lift up reverse, left to first gear)

yes, that's correct.

Also attaching a picture to show indentation on my drivers side carpet, that's how far i have to push the clutch pedal at times. may not be relevant, but you can also see that the clutch pedal sits lower than the brake. i can lift the clutch pedal up some way.

thanks!

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

welshpug

Looks like you're missing some parts on the end of the cable there, probably  a 10mm thick rubber piece and a large washer with a concave seat for the spacer under the nut.

Can't  quite see but is the 30mm ish long piece in place between the clutch fork and the quadrant?

Rob_the_Sparky

It isn't that the little rod between the clutch mechanism and the level has been replaced with something too short?  They are commonly lost as they fall out if the tension is released on the cable.

adybatt

Thanks for the input, that makes sense in terms of what i'm experiencing. I'll take some better pictures later today, would be great if someone could send me a picture of a 'correct' assembly, so i can identify which bits i'm missing.

Many thanks

Steve205

This is a photo of a full clutch end piece. These are all pieces tgat should be on yours, if correct. Can't take photo of assembly as car is in paint shop til Friday. Sorry. 

20220510_112800.jpg

Thijs_Rallye

A bit late to the party but as above :). Also it is a good idea to strap a piece of wire around the pin and somewhere on the engine gearbox. In case your cable breaks at least you still have the pin.

adybatt

Thanks, all. Certainly missing some bits by the looks of it. Though i did find this thread...

Cable end arrangement looks similar to mine, but clearly a good amount of thread either side of the stop for adjustment. Does state this is BE3 box, so perhaps the wrong cable used on mine? How can i confirm which Box i have?

Thanks

Anthony

You have a BE1 gearbox - the clutch arm setup is very different to BE3.

As a general rule, lift-up reverse next to 1st is BE1 and reverse below 5th is BE3.

Another thing to check on BE1 is that the clutch arm isn't bent or cracked - it's certainly not unheard of - and that the gearbox is properly attached to the engine, in particular the lower rear bolt near the diff is present and tight.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton
23 hours ago, adybatt said:

thanks!

IMG_0574.JPG

Problem I think is in this photo. Between the gold bell crank that the cable is attached to, and the gold lever that passes into the gearbox, there should be a short link rod piece about 10mm diameter and maybe 30mm long. It looks from the photo like it is missing. A photo from another direction may show otherwise though. If i'm right, that is why you've run out of adjustment on the cable.

Baker BM sell it now, although its a very simple thing you could make yourself.

https://www.bakerbm.com/be1-gearbox-clutch-arm-pin.html

adybatt

Thanks! i think i found an image on another thread illustrating the pin, which i'm almost certain i don't have. Will check as soon as i can get in the garage.

935209428_be1clutchdowelpin.jpg.670078b99a42a32bc7e565ac03040422.jpg

welshpug

Thats the one, though that cup on the left looks bent.

adybatt

Bah, the pin is there!

Better pictures of the cable end assembly attached. Based on steve205' picture there are a couple of bits i'm missing that i think would improve it, mainly the thick rubber washer, but it looks like the cable is too long?

Another thought - as the clutch plates wear (and biting point rises?), would you shorten or lengthen to cable to re-adjust?

Thanks

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

Thijs_Rallye

For compensating wear you need to shorten the cable.

adybatt
3 minutes ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

For compensating wear you need to shorten the cable.

Thanks, i thought as much. That doesn't look good for the long term!

Tom Fenton

Make a slightly longer pin, to give you some adjustment back on the cable.

Thijs_Rallye

With a bit of steel pipe you could fill the gap between the plastic thingy and the nuts, giving you more room for adjustment.

Steve205

As Thijs says above. I have put a piece of pipe in place between the 2 nuts and plastic stop before. Worked a treat. Plenty of adjustment was available then. You need to shorten cable to extend bite point. Mashing your foot into floor to change gear and creeping in traffic with clutch still stuck to the floor gets tiresome....

I  ordered a new clutch cable after a while. The old one seemed to have stretched over the years.