• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Retro Pug

Trying to wake up GTI6 after about 18 months

Retro Pug

Hi All, 

After a few tough years I'm finally in a place where I have some breathing space and really want to get back in my 205.  I converted it to a GTI6 in around 2009 and used it every day until around 2016 for loads of boring reasons it was parked up and used rarely until 2019 and its sat in the garage since.

Anyway I've spent some time trying to start it over the weekend an its doesn't want to play.  It turns over just fine but wont run.

Steps I've taken are:

• Charged battery
  • Fresh fuel 
  • New fuel filter
  • New plugs
  • oil service
  • New Fuel Regulator - when I changed this there was plenty of fuel at the rail.

I can here the pump priming which is good but for some reason the 'stop' light on the dash isn't lighting up and when it did briefly run for a second or two I noticed the rev counter didn't work?  Not sure if that's relevant?

Anyway any ideas or a nudge in the right direction would be amazing as really want to use this year.

Apols if this is in the wrong spot  :)

Cheers

John.

welshpug

check for spark and check what method was used to drive the 205 rev counter, possible that has failed and is grounding the trigger wires.

if the fuel pump is priming one would assume the relay is good, however does it power up when cranking? (will only do so if the ecu sees a crank signal)

Retro Pug
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

check for spark and check what method was used to drive the 205 rev counter, possible that has failed and is grounding the trigger wires.

if the fuel pump is priming one would assume the relay is good, however does it power up when cranking? (will only do so if the ecu sees a crank signal)

Thanks for the help :)

Yeah just checked and there is a spark. The rev counter is driven by a loom I bought from Spikey from memory.  Its odd given the rev counter and STOP light are not working?  The handbrake and battery light are lighting up.  There is an immobiliser might be related? 

The fuel pump comes on when cranking too.

Thanks again,

John.

boldy205

Regarding the rev counter,  mine takes a second or 2 too register and give a reading. If this is the same as yours, don't assume that the rev counter isn't working. 

Mine is a 205 with Gti6 and a Miles loom.

Have to taken the injectors out and make sure they are working?

I had 3 out of 4 stuck shut on mine after being sat for years.

Anthony

STOP light is triggered by the oil pressure switch (should illuminate the oil pressure light, STOP and the coolant temperature light).

This won't be directly related to the engine not starting as the dash sensor loom is self-contained - try shorting the wire to it to ground (engine block will do) and see if the lights come on, if they do, it's probably the switch has failed or needs a sharp tap, and if they don't, it's possibly a wiring or cluster issue.  If it's just the STOP light that's not working and the oil pressure light is illuminated as normal with ignition on and engine not running, it's probably just the bulb or bulb holder connection in the cluster.

Aftermarket immobilisers typically interrupt the starter motor and fuel pump, so given that both are working, it's unlikely to be related IMO.  The immobiliser on the GTi-6 ECU cuts spark and injection, so given you have spark, that's likely fine as well.

Is it giving any vague attempt to start, or just whirring over on the starter with no attempt to fire?  You mentioned it did start briefly - did it sound OK and like it was running on all cylinders?

Richie-Van-GTi

One side of the relay only comes live for the spark and injection after it sees a good crank signal. I chased a fault in mine for ages with intermittent and difficult starting. It was not spinning fast enough unless i put a jump pack on despite a new battery. New starter solved it.

DamirGTI

Tried some "easy start" in it's nostrils ? might do the wake up trick .

D

Retro Pug

Thanks guys it’s trying to start and did run for a second or two.   Hoping to get some time on in tomorrow so will feed back!! Thanks again.