• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

sp_en_ny

Screen Washer Pump Issue

sp_en_ny

Hi all, really would appreciate some input on the current issue I have that has me stumped. The screen washer pump on my 205 92 CTI has stopped working. I therefore purchased a new pump, connected it up and the new one does not work either.

I disconnected the pump from the plug and did the following.

1) New pump

I connected a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the negative terminal on the new pump and connected a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal on the pump and the new pump springs to life immediately. So I am guessing this rules out an issue with the pump !

2) Stalk

I turn the ignition on to the second notch (one before starting the car) i put the negative probe from my multi-meter into the earth terminal of the plug that connects to the pump and put the positive probe from my multi-meter into the live terminal of the plug that connects to the pump and i get a reading of 4.47volts.

If I then pull the stalk to me the multi-meter reads 11.5 volts.

So i am guessing this rules out an issue with the stalk ? and there is power at the plug that pushed on to the pump.

3) Plug that connects to the pump.

The moment i connect the pump to the plug and then take a reading on the multi-meter the voltage is zero when ignition is on or 0.6 when you pull the stalk back. I therefore cut the plug off, put on some insulated spades repeated all of the steps above and everything comes back exactly the same, so when the pump is not connected i am getting 4.47 volts with ignition on and 11.5 volts when i pull the stalk back.

The moment i connect the pump and take a reading its dead ! and the pump fails to work.

What on earth am i doing wrong or does anyone have any idea what it could be as I am at a complete loss :(((

I am very much a beginner/novice at this stuff so apologies if i have not explained anything properly or what i am doing is clueless !

Many thanks

Spencer

pugdamo

With a multimeter you are only checking voltage, you can get good voltage through a really bad connection, but it's current that you need to make a component work so If you can make up a test bulb, just a single filament bulb will be fine, an indicator bulb or something similar with a couple wires attached to the bulb (if you could find a bulb holder with a length of wires attached that is pretty much all I use), get the live wire from the pump connector, put one of the wires on the bulb in that and the other to the battery negative and pull the stalk, if the bulb lights brightly you have good supply if it doesn't you will need to start chasing back to find a connection issue or something, next put the wire on the test light into the pump earth wire and straight to battery positive, again your looking for a bright light, if its dull you have a bad earth, I'm pretty sure the washer pump earth's onto the block on the front panel next to the headlight, I would start there, clean the earth's and retest. Hope that helps. 

pugdamo

Just a quick search on YouTube, I didn't really watch the video but this is pretty much what I meant 

welshpug

Earth by the left headlamp is most common culprit for this, as you have already confirmed you do have 12v to the plug the stalk is fine.