• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

Clutch alignment tools

lagonda

Yes, I know a socket extension bar wrapped with tape can work, but specific tools seem to be reasonably cheap. I'm familiar with the type in the red box as I recall using my brother's to help him replace the clutch on his Golf. But what about the black plastic (supposedly heavy duty) one? Has anyone used one of these, and with good results? It would appear to have the benefit of being "infinitely" adjustable, whereas the arbor type can be a poor fit, which isn't helpful for accuracy.

clutch tool.jpg

normal clutch.jpg

PhilNW

Last valeo clutch I bought for my 205 came with its own plastic alignment tool.

lagonda

Following recommendations over here, I'm looking to buy a LuK clutch kit ... unfortunately, there's no mention of a tool being included in the kit ... that would have been handy!

Tom Fenton

You don't need a tool for a 205 clutch. The open design of the cover means you can feel with your fingers the drive plate to the pressure plate alignment and move it to suit before fully tightening the pressure plate bolts.

Gohn

Ditto what Phil did

I've only done a few so the little tool just confirms the clutch's where its supposed to before tightening. Its super easy

(My kit was also Valeo with a little blue plastic hollow tube alignment tool)

I kept it in case the next kit doesn't have one included

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive got both the kits you have images of, with peugeot clutches I always do as Tom says, just feel the edges to align it.

I only use the kits with DMF cars where the clutch is rebated, even then you tend to get them in line by eye just as well

lagonda

Thanks for all replies. Impressed to see concensus of aligning by sight/feel! Whilst this will be my first time changing a clutch on my CTi, I've changed others on other cars, and usually had "fun" getting the gearbox shaft entered, so just wish to avoid any doubt. Interestingly the Valeo kits over here don't include an aligner, whereas I see UK ones do!

smithy72

I know its a bit heath robinson, but I quite often just wrap insulating tape round a tube or socket extension to match the flywheel and clutch plate I.D's.

That said for 205s I have a shaft that my dad machined up for me when I was 19. used it again earlier this year, first 205 clutch in 25odd years and its was still in my 'special tools' drawer :)

Ive never had an issue with the box aligning either.

Edited by smithy72

lagonda

Many thanks, that's reassuring.