• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
soundguy

Remove lower mount + fork without removing driveshaft?

soundguy

I want to get some new bushes pressed into the fork and lower engine mount, but I don't want to take the driveshaft out of the diff if I can avoid it (damaged a new seal last time I fitted new shafts, want to avoid this, plus refilling the gearbox). Is it possible to unbolt the mount + fork, separate them and somehow slide them off the hub end of the shaft if I take the hub off?

Tom Fenton

Fork can be removed, engine mount can not.

soundguy

OK, thanks. Any advice for getting the driveshaft back in without damaging the seal?

joris_andriesse

Gently and with a lot of lubrication.

If someone heard me saying that, without knowing the context..... :p

welshpug

never had an issue damaging seals, very light bit of grease or oil on the end is as much as I ever do with them.

soundguy

Thanks, will take care this time - I was a bit forceful last time.

SRDT

With the right tools you can change it on the car but I don't know if it's worth it when you're not a pro.

soundguy

I'm happy taking the fork and mount off etc and getting someone else to press the new bushes in but I can imagine getting the OEM-type bush in while under the car will eventually lead to me taking it off anyway and wishing I had just done that sooner.

Those split polybushes look a piece of piss to fit but it seems they're just too hard, too much NVH so I'm happy to take the mounts off (+shafts out etc) for someone else to deal with.