• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ed72

TU Engine Swapping info

Ed72

Hey all,

New here and new to owning a 205, wanted a Gti, but being the first car and insurance... well..

It's currently running a 1.1 TU engine, with a 4spd trans, if I swap out to another TU motor 1.3 or 1.4, do I need to change out the drive shafts and hubs?

I saw a 306 1.4 TU on ebay, but it said it was fitted with a BE1 trans.. looked all over mine and found 2CA71..

would be good if there was a table with compatibility of engines to gearboxes, with shafts and hubs for those starting out and learning..

Please be aware, this may be the first in a line of questions, but we all have to start somewhere, no one is born a genius.. 

Any help and information is greatly appreciated, thanks..

Gohn

we didn't get TU's here so I'll admit to a bit of XU snobbery and TU ignorance

obvious but wait until you've got all the new bits ready before extracting the running TU 1.1 engine/box

otherwise it could be off the road for the partsearch time and build time, and lots of projects stall like that and the car never runs again

took me a year+ to find an engine

also, try if you can to get the new engine/box from a 205 that way the fit is already done for you

otherwise your compatibility questions just multiply and gaffs are more likely

so get picky and take longer upfront

ideally a 205 TU1.4 with a MA 5 speed and all the mounts !

dont know if different TU's had the same engine mounts, its unlikely

try hard to get them with the engine it'll save trouble later. RF, Gearbox and Lower mounts and there's about 6 parts all up

the Rallye TU24, 1294cc def had its own odd mounts,  which are much harder to find apparently

the only TU with different driveshafts/hubs was the Rallye TU24 which got the GTi set 25spline etc

the others including yours came with base model 21 spline dshafts, low offset -21 spline -72mm bearing hubs, and base model hub carrier 72mm OD

Ed72
On 2/19/2022 at 3:44 AM, Gohn said:

we didn't get TU's here so I'll admit to a bit of XU snobbery and TU ignorance

obvious but wait until you've got all the new bits ready before extracting the running TU 1.1 engine/box

otherwise it could be off the road for the partsearch time and build time, and lots of projects stall like that and the car never runs again

took me a year+ to find an engine

also, try if you can to get the new engine/box from a 205 that way the fit is already done for you

otherwise your compatibility questions just multiply and gaffs are more likely

so get picky and take longer upfront

ideally a 205 TU1.4 with a MA 5 speed and all the mounts !

dont know if different TU's had the same engine mounts, its unlikely

try hard to get them with the engine it'll save trouble later. RF, Gearbox and Lower mounts and there's about 6 parts all up

the Rallye TU24, 1294cc def had its own odd mounts,  which are much harder to find apparently

the only TU with different driveshafts/hubs was the Rallye TU24 which got the GTi set 25spline etc

the others including yours came with base model 21 spline dshafts, low offset -21 spline -72mm bearing hubs, and base model hub carrier 72mm OD

Hi Gohn,

Really appreciate the reply and the information, certainly helps thank you.

It might be off the road for a bit, as I didn't listen to my dad.. oops.. so now I've to wait on him getting enough time to pop the head off and have a look..

I had found that TU 1.4, but the gearbox code is the thing I'm not sure about, as it was a complete engine, with ECU, etc. just said it had a BE1 trans fitted.. Hopefully someone with a compatibility table will know what all the codes are and what works where.. maybe.. 

finding parts is getting like finding chicken lips n rocking horse dung.. 

Cheers again.