• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest flat-eric

Single Wiper

Guest flat-eric

how do i build a home made single wiper? is it easy? any wot got pics?

Guest jonnie205

yes very simple just chop a bit out of your middle wiper arm under the scuttle panel and then weld it together again. You can remeove the other arm and mechanism on the driervs side also. You can make the wiper park in the centre or at the side using the splines on the wiper motor arm. The more you chop out the bigger the sweep of the wiper, dont go mad because if you take out oo much the linkage will jam up and could burn out the motor. I say start by chopping out 8mm

Sam

I found 15mm to be best

Ahl

Is this purely a styling modification or is the single wiper any better at clearing the rain? :wacko:

pug_ham

IMO styling.

Some cars that have a single wiper fitted from the factory used to get remarks made about this in roadtests but it was never in a good way iirc.

I have one fitted to my H reg GTi & I've parked it to the drivers side of the screen & fitted the BX spray bar, I've not driven it in bad rain but the rain I have driven it in it performed as well as twin wipers.

Graham.:wacko:

maxi

The single wiper works a lot better for fast driving as the blades no longer lift off the screen. This only works of course if the `Park` position is vertically up the screen. If you keep your glass well polished you will also find rain clears off the screen in motorway driving with hardly any assistance from the wiper.

Mad Professor

Very easy but what ever you do, do not cut any more then 15mm (1.5cm) out.

I cut something like 16mm-18mm, And if i have my wipers on fast some times it jams.

vanny

Ah the single V's double wiper question!

For me the single whiper is much less distracting (but its what i've always had). It clears fine in 3" a secnd type rain, but it does depend on what speed you doing!

The little fin that you get on Bosch wipers makes a huge difference, infact Bosch have always been the best wiper on my screens (had one replaced not too long ago!).

If you go looking for a BX wiper, before taking it off a scrap car open the arm (so its a way from the screen) and have good ole play. If there is loads of play in the arm then the inards are probably gone and it will park where ever it likes! Oh and mine had a problem for a while where i had to get to about 20mph before there was enough air force to get it going. Again it was warn out! You can overhaul them apparently, but i just binned it and got another!

pug_ham
This only works of course if the `Park` position is vertically up the screen.

Which is an MOT fail & looks rubbish anyway IMO.

Vanny;

If you go looking for a BX wiper

The BX wiper motor is far more hassle than it is worth to fit to a 205, easiest to simply shorten the linkage at the wiper spindle.

The only bit you need is the actual wiper arm althoguh I found the rear wiper from a phase2 309 to be a better fit but have kept the BX spray bar.

Graham.:rolleyes:

DaveW

Would a AX wiper motor fit a 205?

pug_ham
Would a AX wiper motor fit a 205?

If it is mounted to the car in a similar way to the BX then No.

There is a guide on the easiest way to make a single wiper conversion on Hilgies site 205gti.com, I followed this guide & mine is great for the total cost of less than £5, including the new wiper arm & a brand new blade.

Graham.:rolleyes:

DaveW

oh rite, il make one up when it gets a bit warmer then.

Guest Ed_Miami

I cut 15mm from the middle linkage plate then re-welded, worked a treat.

Used a BX wiper arm and spray bar, making the washers on the bonnet redundant.

My GTi with single wiper parked on passenger side of the windscreen :rolleyes:

gti.JPG

Guest flat-eric

hey ed! nice ride!

looks well smooth. that grill makes load's of difference dont it!

is the wiper an mot failure then? idealy want it virticaly parked but now have sin your's look's ok.

Robbie G

Eric, just do a proper job of it whatever happens. Make sure you cut exactly the right amount as has been said, and make sure that the linkage and motor are in good nick. Get a newish looking wiper with a decent spray bar, put it together properly, and it'll be mint. Don't do all these things, and you'll end up like me - jamming wiper, tacky looking, and inefficient spray!

I'm going back to standard wiper system asap next week, but may attempt it again if / when I can get all the bits together to do a decent job. Here's how it looks on mine anyway...

427396_3_full.jpg

Edited by Robbie G

Guest jonnie205

sure you dont want me to leave that single wiper on there ANTHONY !!!!?

Guest Ed_Miami

On my first 'boyed-up' ( :rolleyes: ) 205xs, I had my wiper parked vertically, but wouldn't do it again after looking back...

ed2.JPG

Guest flat-eric

ED? y not do it again? did you got a lot of bother from it? :rolleyes:

Guest Ed_Miami
ED? y not do it again? did you got a lot of bother from it? :rolleyes:

No, i just think it looks poo in comparison to my GTi :P

Guest flat-eric

I havent made my mind up yet. i jst want to make the car look smooth and tidy.

like the xs, was it an xs because of the insurance? Cruise south west? where are you then? i'm trying to find out what the scene is like around norfolk way for the gti. live near norwich.

Guest Ed_Miami
like the xs, was it an xs because of the insurance? Cruise south west? where are you then? i'm trying to find out what the scene is like around norfolk way for the gti. live near norwich.

Yes, was an XS cos it was my first car, had GTi kit etc fitted to it though.

rearside.jpg

Yep im from the South West, Cornwall.

Anyway, back to the topic in question :rolleyes:

Guest flat-eric

it's tidy mate, some nice touches , xs boot badge, focus side repeaters ect.

is that chrome trim on the kit easy to get hold of?

Guest Ed_Miami
is that chrome trim on the kit easy to get hold of?

I cheated and used a roll of chrome that had a sticky backing, easy to fit and looked just as good :rolleyes: I used the same stuff on my GTi...

Anthony
sure you dont want me to leave that single wiper on there ANTHONY !!!!?

Yup, quite sure - I don't like the single-wiper conversions (especially when they park in the middle of the screen), and judging by whats been said on the previous page, the car will fail it's MOT with that wiper in place...

Sign in to follow this