• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Changing rubber hoses from Fuel pump - how to and where to buy?

ATK

Rubber hoses from fuel pump to pipes are starting to corrode - does the tank have to be dropped to change these?

Also any idea where to buy replacement rubber hose (size etc) from as everything I've read has said modern piping is rubbish!

Anthony

While I think it's possible to change them with the tank in-situ, I've always found it much easier to at least partly drop the tank to change those fuel hoses from the pump.  It also gives you opportunity to check any corrosion to the shell around the tank (it's a common area for them to rot) and the brake pipes above the tank (originals will likely be heavily corroded here!)

You can get good modern fuel hose - ignore the unbranded supposed R6/R9 rated stuff from eBay etc and go for either Gates Barricade or Cohline 2240, both work well in my experience and are OK with E10 fuel.  I can't remember the hose ID's from memory, but I have a feeling that they're different - 8mm for the pipes under the car and 10mm for the pump housing maybe, but someone should be able to provide an accurate answer.  I know that BakerBM now sell a complete fuel hose and pipe kit for 205 GTi's - maybe worth enquiring whether they'll sell the fuel pump hoses separately.

Anthony

Although you use the word "corrode" - is it definitely the rubber pipes that are the issue and not the metal fuel lines underneath the car?  I only ask as typically you'd describe rubber as "perishing" and metal as "corroding", and unquestionably a lot of the original metal fuel lines are now getting rusty.

ATK

Thanks Anthony - yeah deginately the rubber, its starting to show signs of wear. Metal pipes are fine. 

DamirGTI
On 1/12/2022 at 3:50 PM, Anthony said:

but I have a feeling that they're different - 8mm for the pipes under the car and 10mm for the pump housing

No doubt memory still serves you Ant !

Indeed they're two different dia. unions , pump one 10mm and fuel metal lines 8mm .

I Always go with the 8mm fuel hose , some silicon lube/spray and it'll stretch over the 10mm pump housing unions (with a bit of a push with hose pliers) .

New hoses cut to required length i tape up to the ends of the old ones when undone , and push/pull trough the chassis as i'm pulling old ones out new ones go/feed in , or use an piece of plastic welding rods , cabling or similar and use that as a guide to tape on the new hoses and feed them trough .

D

• Like 1