• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dh_nisse

building a 205 1.3 Rallye

Dh_nisse

Hi! It might be that I've chosen wrong forum for this topic. Please let me know if that's the case.

I've ended up with a white 205 XR shell, a 1.3 Rallye engine with the carbs, several sets of rear beams and front subframes from various 205 GTIs, more or less a complete junior interior and seats from a XS in good nick.

And with all this stuff in my garage i realized I might be able to put together a 205 1.3 Rallye.

And I have a few, or a lot of questions about the spec of a Rallye. I do appreciate all the help and advice I can get!

What gear box should I use?

What shocks would be the best choice?

Is the engine mounts different between the TU24 a TU3M?

The TU3M is currently in the shell, how much of it can I use?

Do anyone know what hub carriers the 205 Rallye used? 

I'm planning on have the car as a fun car to drive to work and have as a back up track car for my 205 gti6. It doesn't have to be 100% a 205 Rallye but I want it to be close.     

welshpug

euro rallye used 1.6 running gear, hubs brakes and axle.

personally building from scratch I would get a BE4 gearbox casing and intermediate bearing carrier, run 1.6 shafts, probably use something like 1.6 gearset.

• Like 1

Dh_nisse
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

euro rallye used 1.6 running gear, hubs brakes and axle.

personally building from scratch I would get a BE4 gearbox casing and intermediate bearing carrier, run 1.6 shafts, probably use something like 1.6 gearset.

Would a BE4 bolt on to the TU24 engine?

SRDT

Yes the BE4 exist with a TU bellhousing on big cars with a TU5JP4, there is also a BE3-TU bellhousing but as a racing part this one can be expensive.

With the BE gearbox you can also direcly use a GTI subframe instead of welding the TU gear linkage bracket on it.

Does your Rallye engine has the mounting brackets? They are specific and they won't fit on a shell with the XU style mounts:

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/1/18A15A.HTM

Dh_nisse

Thanks! Great help to know about the gear box!

I do have the lower mounting but I think the engine is missing the very top part of the bracket on the right. Any chance to find it somehow?

Dh_nisse

Might be useful to know that I also have a Citroën Saxo VTS 98 that will be stripped down. Haven't had much time to look at it but it might have some parts that I could use?

SRDT

You can only find this bracket on a 205 Rallye, I think the regular short alloy bracket is interfering with the manifold or someting like that.

As for the Saxo I guess you could use the MA gearbox if you don't go with the BE.

Gohn
10 hours ago, Dh_nisse said:

I do have the lower mounting but I think the engine is missing the very top part of the bracket on the right. Any chance to find it somehow?

sounds like you're actually after the top part of the LEFT mount, part number 4

#183919 ?

go with the best option suggested, BE box and GTi subframe

then just find find the parts

http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk , this guy's good for toughies but doesn't have it listed (not sure if the UK/Euro Rallye mounts differed)

shoot him an email, he's got lots that's not

try wreckers, ebay, dealers, old hoarders etc

Dh_nisse
8 hours ago, Gohn said:

sounds like you're actually after the top part of the LEFT mount, part number 4

#183919 ?

go with the best option suggested, BE box and GTi subframe

then just find find the parts

http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk , this guy's good for toughies but doesn't have it listed (not sure if the UK/Euro Rallye mounts differed)

shoot him an email, he's got lots that's not

try wreckers, ebay, dealers, old hoarders etc

Indeed your right! Seems like that thing might be a bit of a nightmare to find. My second opinion is to get hold of some one that have a euro Rallye and take some measurements and weld one myself.

I've never gotten my head around the gear box lineup, what's the benefit with BE box over the MA? Using the subframe of a GTI is a given.

I'm not going to use coil overs and I wonder if I should buy springs for a 1.6 GTI or say a XS?

Thanks for all the help!

Thijs_Rallye
18 hours ago, Dh_nisse said:

the engine is missing the very top part of the bracket on the right

You can try to contact Patrick Strijker on Facebook, he has scrapped a lot of those 1.3 rallyes in the past. I don't know him personally and cannot vouch for him though.

SRDT

The MA gearbox isn't as strong, in particular the early ones like on the 205. You have one sport stock gearset and if you don't like it you have to buy racing parts.

The BE on the other hand is pretty much bulettproof with this small engine, you can also keep it if you upgrade to a TU5JP4 or a XU. The GTI "T" gearset is hard to beat, in particular on the price side.

As you already have a 205 GTI6 track car focusing on BE gearboxes made more sense. You can also use 1.9 hubs and driveshafts with the BE if you don't have 1.6 parts.

For rims you can go with 106 Rallye 14" or Citroën C5 15" alloy "steelie" painted white.