• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ElectricNoodle

Water distribution block replacement

ElectricNoodle

Hi, 

I've recently been replacing hoses on my 1991 1.9 GTI, and it seemed to have gone successfully after initial tests, but went back tonight and got her idling again and noticed coolant dripping from the bottom bolt of the coolant distribution block that goes into the back of the engine. 

I've got it going into a garage tomorrow for a timing belt/water pump change so will mention it to them, but was wondering if it was still possible to get the metal coolant distribution blocks? 

And if not, is it okay to fit a plastic one that was found on the newer models?

Also is this something the garage might be able to fix by resealing it etc, or will it definitely require a new part? 

Thanks for any help! 

SRDT

Dou you have a metal one on your car? I think it was 1336-36 and they switched to plastic in 01/01/88.

For the plastic ones part numbers are 1336-60 before 01/12/90 and 1336-H7 after that ; later models have a Ø32 big inlet but that shouldn't be a problem as long as you also change the hose.

If you go with plastic you can find them for cheap both new and used, now if you really want a metal one you can look for a used one in good condition... or have it 3D printed for around 370€.

But maybe it's just the seal, 1340-10 for the early flat one (that you cans also cut out of a garket paper sheet) and 1339-79 for the quad lobe X-ring (O-rings should fit but probably aren't as good).

DamirGTI

If it's the alu. version , it'll be the seal/O-ring .. cheap and easy to rectify .

But , do take a look little bit further above , in case you have "missing washer" on the head bolt above the water pump .. if so , likely the block is f***d and it's leaking from there . 

D

ElectricNoodle

It's the metal one yep. 

Thanks for the part numbers! will see if the garage are able to confirm tomorrow while it's in, then will get the seals ordered if need be, as it seems like it'll be easier keeping the metal one in place.

Have properly checked that's definitely where it's coming from too, it's completely dry above, and I can see the coolant seeping from directly around the bottom bolt. 

Weird thing is I idled the thing right up to temp a week or so ago and there wasn't a drip out of anywhere, was only when I decided to test it again tonight that I noticed the drip! 

ElectricNoodle

Can I ask what might be a silly question, where is best to look up the part numbers to buy the seals I'll need? 

Have tried a few sites and seem to be only coming up with seals/gaskets for the thermostat housing etc. 

Is there a website you'd recommend? 

Thanks for any help! 

SRDT

If you have seen metal ones with the new seal then 1336-60 and maybe even 1336-H7 could exist in metal.

For the flat gasket you can look for a thick garket paper sheet, the X-ring is 42,8 X 35,6 x 3,6.

You can also try at Peugeot or use Peugeot classic:

https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/205/1556-joint.html

https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/205/3375-joint-de-collecteur-d-eau.html

DamirGTI

Always used generic O-rings from the O-ring assortment boxes .. can even get them in stripes , and cut-and-glue them to form an O-ring

especially if it's some odd size needed .. used that a lot for "on the spot repair" on excavators .

This , for the parts diagram and part numbers (it's the old OEM Peugeot catalogue for the 205/309/405) :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/

D

ElectricNoodle

Perfect thanks! 

I stand corrected, it's the plastic one that's fitted to my car. 

Is having to spend a few nights at the garage while I get one delivered.. As it turns out it had a crack down the side of it. 

Guessing I stressed it a bit putting the new hoses on. 

Either way should hopefully be sorted in a few days. 

Thanks again for your help.