• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
duurtlang

Seating position: steering wheel extension?

duurtlang

Maybe my body is more ape-like than average. Maybe the seating position in a 205 is odd. Regardless, I am sitting too close to the pedals and too far away from the steering wheel while having the seatback in a rather upright position. This is not comfortable on longer trips. I get neck/shoulder aches I do not get in my 406.

As moving the pedals backward is not realistically feasible, I thought of moving the steering wheel towards me. While retaining my original 1987 mk1 steering wheel. I am not looking for a long extension, a few centimeters should be fine.

The question is: how can I safely move the steering wheel towards me? Is there a steering hub similar to the aftermarket hubs that simply allows you to extend the column and move the stock wheel a few centimeters towards you? Or some alternative?

Biggles

Aftermarket boss & aftermarket dished wheel is the only way I can think of. 

DamirGTI

The splines on the steering column usually allow for some "extension" , therefore you can safely manage few mm's or maybe cm's , relocating the the steering wheel up/higher ... but then the tab at the back of the steering wheel will be too far from the light/indicators stalk thus the indicators canceling while turning the steering wheel will be problematic ie. wont work "automatically" , will need to switch off indicators manually .

With regards to shoulder/neck pain , considered different seat as an option ? or at least the headrest ?

Without much work , front seats can be fitted from  : Citroen XM (very comfy) , 405 Mi16 (these even have adjustable side/bolsters) , 309 GTi , 306 GTI .. lots of others obviously but with some seat frame work .

I have just the headrest from the Citroen XM leather seats , fitted onto a 205 seats , they're better shaped and adjustable can swing them up and down found them much better than 205 item .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

duurtlang

So, I've fixed this issue. I had a company make me a steering wheel spacer. So I can mount the original wheel, I keep the automatic return of the blinkers and have a much better seating position.

I found this website of an Italian manufacturer: https://www.spacershop.com/en/

They listed spacers for mundane Peugeots, like the 306 and 107, but not for the 205. So I've send them an email. They speak English and said they had no spacer for the 205, but if I were to send them an original wheel they could make me one. So I did, a few months ago. I've sent them a wheel from a 1986 GTI, as I have a phase 1 dashboard. Last week I received the result and I have to say I'm quite pleased. I'm not sure to what extent this also fits the phase 1.5 and phase 2. I'm sure others will know.

It's possible the 205 spacer is not yet visible on their website. If it's not and you want one, just just send them an email.

This is the result with my test wheel:

IMG-20220702-192827-min.jpg

So I received these parts from the company:

IMG-20220702-192001-min.jpg

You have to remove the ring with the lip for the blinkers from the original steering wheel and mount it on the spacer.

From this: IMG-20220702-191542-min.jpg

IMG-20220702-193405-min.jpg

to this:

IMG-20220702-191613-min.jpg

It comes prepared for the parts from the original wheel.

You then mount the spacer with the original (21) nut from the steering wheel.

IMG-20220702-192237-min.jpg

And mount the parts from the spacer:

IMG-20220702-192422-min.jpg

After which you can mount the steering wheel as normal.

Once the wheel has been mounted the stalks for the lights and wipers are a bit far away, but it's still manageble. IMG-20220702-193830-min.jpg

Disclaimer: although I received a discount on the spacer for having sent a steering wheel as a template, I receive zero commission or other advantages if they sell further 205 spacers. I am happy with their service though.

IMG_20220702_192827-min.jpg

duurtlang
On 10/11/2021 at 9:19 PM, DamirGTI said:

I have just the headrest from the Citroen XM leather seats , fitted onto a 205 seats , they're better shaped and adjustable can swing them up and down found them much better than 205 item .

I fixed most of my seating position as you can see in the post above. Also, my seats are in great shape; I had them partially newly upholstered with old leather and they now have a heating function (It's a CTI). However, I'm intrigued by your XM headrests. The 205 headrest in their highest position reach the top of my neck/lowest part of my head, and are thus way too short. The metal pins should have been 10-15 cm longer. Do the XM ones fit a 205 seat without adjustment? And can you set them (much) higher than the original 205 headrests?

Edited by duurtlang

DamirGTI

Yes , XM headrests are direct fit onto 205 seats , no modification/adjustments needed .

With regards to the height , not sure .. would need to check , but me thinks they're little bit longer so yes i'd say you can lift them up higher than 205 ones ... but by far the best feature of them is being able to adjust the headrest at an angle you wish/suits you as the headrest cushion is movable , it pivots on the headrest frame .

D