• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

Intermediate bearing bushings(?) for drivers side RHD driveshaft (longer)

Looking at the drivers side(RHD) intermediate bearing bushings - where the driveshaft is supported at "mid-span" 

where the rear engine mounting is - 

I found the 309*parts around this here :- http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/309F/3/32E15A.HTM

(i) is it bushings which are specified on the parts catalogue? / does anyone know where I can buy them because I cant 

seem to find them to buy searching any attempt at part name I make or part numbers found. 

(ii) I have the nuts and the bolts with the 'L' shape - so the "L" parts just hold the bushings and the bearing 

I can't remember what it was like. It is about 6 years since I took the engine out. 

I need to take out the shaft again and install the bushings properly.

(iii) Is it worth replacing the bearing at the same time?/I think the old one is ok from what I remember it spun ok 

I need to remove inspect - I will add pictures asap

*ok Im 309 but I reckon the 205 is the same seen many like this on 205 gti, 205 tu also I think (?)

if it does need replace or better now is it a tricky job? any advice from experience greatly appreciated  

20210923_110443(0).thumb.jpg.fc6850ecce99ee9a0f55e561e7c672a6.jpg

20210923_110422.jpg

Edited by Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

DamirGTI

It's bearing , and then the two L bolts which then hold/support on the outer bearing race holding it against the bush pressed on the shaft keeping the inner shaft part secured ... seems like there was some kind of cap (No.5 on the diagram) in between the L bolts and the bearing buy myself never seen one on a 205 .

The bearing is common size , readily available , it's been a while but something like "6006" seems to be the one that fits as an replacement ... someone else will confirm more precisely ..

If the bearing is fine , spins fine and it's not dried out , personally i'd leave it alone .. just pop the bearing dust cover (carefully pry out with an needle) and add some bearing grease (not too much though !) inside/onto the balls and put the dust cover back .

If it's bad , then yes replace it ... isn't rocket science , but it'll depend on how tight the bush happens to be on the shaft ... some i managed just to heat up then knock off and back on with cold chisel , others needed more work and tools as the bush was on much tighter and "rust welded" onto the shaft .

D

• Like 1

pug_ham

Isn't that part already pressed onto the driveshaft by the tripod joint housing on the other side of the intermediate bearing?

B707C26A-6271-410B-865A-17E90ABF080C.jpeg

You need to fit the L bolts through the mount before you fit the driveshaft though, they don't clear the tripod bearing housing with everything fitted in place.

There's a fairly recent topic here covering the intermediate bearing replacement, a friend recently did his, I can ask where he got the bearing from if you want?

g

• Thanks 1

pug_ham
44 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

seems like there was some kind of cap (No.5 on the diagram) in between the L bolts and the bearing buy myself never seen one on a 205 .

It's a rubber seal / flange type thing, think I've seen them once or twice in all my time with 205's!!  :lol:

g

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

brilliant thanks guys :))))

DamirGTI
6 hours ago, pug_ham said:

think I've seen them once or twice in all my time with 205's!!  :lol:

g

Obviously "made redundant" by the DIY mechanically minded owner or workshop mechanic who saw them first ! :P

D

• Like 1

thanks again for the replies :)

I have ordered what I think are the right parts 

I will remove the driveshaft tomorrow and then report back on the condition of the bearing 

ok so I got the driveshaft out again(that was much harder than I remember LoL)

the bearing seems good and spins freely without rattles - so I'm saying it's good.........?

just wanted triple check 

If I did a video of it so you guys could see could that be posted?

only thinking if there's even 1% doubt I want to get it sorted now rather than put it all back and then have a problem 

(that was fairly hard work getting it out again ...... you pro guys going to laugh at that LoL) 

20210925_114845[1].jpg

DamirGTI

If you want to replace it for the piece of mind , do it .

Heat up the collar with blow torch to expand it , then try to hammer it off with cold chisel whilst still hot .. see if it'll move going by that method .

Bearing , cut in it half way with angle grinder then bang on the cut also with chisel and it'll split apart .. clean up the shaft with some fine sand paper or red scotchbrite pad and press in new bearing with an piece of iron pipe/tube (support on inner race of the bearing) , or can pre-heat the bearing on a coffee cooker heating plate or in the oven and it'll slide over on the shaft .. same with the collar .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

@DamirGTI thanks - thanks for your help - on both topics 

after your advice on both - speedo drive also - managed to just test position the driveshaft back in and it fits much better now the speedo drive unit is right :)))) fits better at the engine mounting position 

I think that is all the way in at the speedo end? 

I have got the bushings on order for the support - I think I can now get this sorted out  

going to make final decision on what to do with bearing once get the bushings now feel more confident its going to be ok whether I renew the bearing or not - in both cases it looks better already 

20210925_153313.jpg

20210925_153322.jpg

20210925_153310.jpg

ok so I got the first part I ordered - as pictures 

he said 3248...06 - as per parts diagram replaced with ...08 this one is metal? 

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/309F/3/32E15A.HTM

So all it does is hold the bearing on one side (?) - so it is just a washer in other words (?) 

the other bit is on back order to be notified 325503 that is 

unless anyone knows a replacement part or substitute maybe? 

actually the shape of 325 503 make more sense now having looked at housing more yesterday 

20210927_121336[1].jpg

20210927_121343[1].jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, pug_ham said:

It's a rubber seal / flange type thing, think I've seen them once or twice in all my time with 205's!!  :lol:

g

Ok so I now have got this part,  as photo.  perfect description thanks :) 

Just to figure out now how/where they go in reality . 

Ill get there in the end :) 

20211005_115100[1].jpg

pug_ham
56 minutes ago, Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi said:

Ok so I now have got this part,  as photo.  perfect description thanks :) 

Just to figure out now how/where they go in reality . 

Ill get there in the end :) 

20211005_115100[1].jpg

It fits over the driveshaft end once you feed it through the intermediate bearing housing, siting against the housing once everything is fitted together.

g

• Like 1

hi all me again - sorry I just wanted to check a few things as I am struggling/not getting how this all goes back together;

except what Graham said which I think I understand :) so I am trying to start with that 

so I have got a spare engine mounting - I am trying to work out what goes where on the bench first 

is this right  - the deflector now in the right position? as would be on the car? 

it's purpose is to just stop muck etc getting into the bearing housing and bearing 

the bolt heads are internal so the nuts will be on this side? 

thanks 

20211024_180208[1].jpg

Gohn

other end Richard

it does what you suggest, only for the diff not the bearing

its a DIFF dustcover/splashguard

when installing on car:

feed your driveshaft thru the intermediate bearing bracket,

slot your dustcover onto the driveshaft the correct way round (flat side to diff)

slot your driveshaft into diff until home

tighten up your intermediate bracket hockey stick bolts

they've been on all the 205's i've ever seen but I can understand if they get omitted, as the diff has a seal there anyway

sometimes the dustcover will slide up right away from the diff rendering itself obsolete

you could put a zip tie round the driveshaft to keep the dustcover in its place

or just check it every now and again and push it back snug by hand

diffdustcover.JPG

• Like 1

@Gohn brilliant thanks Andrew :) I wouldn't have got that on my own thanks.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, pug_ham said:

Isn't that part already pressed onto the driveshaft by the tripod joint housing on the other side of the intermediate bearing?

ok sorry guys I am playing catch up, big time here, now I understand what you mean :) 

(sorry I am not as experienced so I am learning all these things newly) 

I just wanted to put this up so if i am wrong I can be corrected&and also put all the great info into one thread- 

OK so what it means is the replacement "bush" that is shown, on the parts. cat. is actually bigger (diameter) than the original "factory" fitted "bush" on the shafts on most of our existing 205's and 309's. This is usually,well always already on the shaft when you buy a new one and on the existing shafts. This new part would replace a part that is already on old shafts. 

this new part 324806 is as part cat. spec:- 

outside 48mm diameter, 30mm inside hole diameter and precisely 8mm thick. photo 1. 

I haven't measured the existing "bush" but that is not as large in diameter. when placed in the engine mounting the new one almost skims the housing as per photo 2. 

but so this isn't needed unless there is something wrong with the old one, the old one's come off, as per some other postings have described  

I got a new bearing just to see what's going on and placed that into the spare housing I got, 

on the bench - with the new L head bolts, as per photo 3. 

the bearing is 55 outside diameter, 30mm inside diameter and 13mm thick. 

therefore also confirms the drive shaft is 30mm diameter where the bush and bearing fit on 

so the new L bolts are installed in position as shown photo 3. 

It's also confirmed that the bearings(old/new) are not that tight in the housing and do not need to be pressed in but hence therefore need the L shaped bolts heads.  

I found another posting where he made his own "puller" tool to remove the old bearing and old "bush"

that is:- 

Thanks again @pug_ham for the above link  - the one I mean is for confirmation this one - 

I now have read that right through and understand what was going on there - the problem there was that the bushing and the bearing were somehow pushed/pulled off the shaft during driving. Hence he tack welded the bush to the shaft to prevent this happening again. 

**some people in other postings seem to also call this "bush" a washer - as it's metal that seems fair also. 

also I noticed the parts diagram is back to front/mirrored some way - well on the 309 at least

because if the engine mounting at the bottom the L bolts should be on the furthest side

buts its not shown right on the parts diagram (?) 

But I think I got it all more or less ok now just to get it back and finish up. :)  

20211026_112808[1].jpg

20211026_111536[1].jpg

20211026_111514[1].jpg

20211026_122354[1].jpg

pug_ham

The bearing shouldn't be tight in the housing, they should be an easy hand push fit.

I think I've seen a 309 driveshaft with the locking ring (bush) that size before but I'd look at sourcing the smaller one if I was doing it, just to make it easier to squeeze down and grip the driveshaft.

Dean Hunter @ Peugeot parts might be worth a try to find one or if you have access to a lathe, turn it down to the smaller size where the lip is on the new one (just outside where the 3 is stamped).

You have the L-bolts the right way round now, they can't be fitted the other way.

That parts diagram shows the rubber seal you have outside the intermediate bearing, between the inner CV joint & the bearing.5f32e15a.jpg.b8627b169acbf7702f9447a985f84c50.jpg

I found one of those rubber seals in my bits at the weekend whilst looking for some 1.9 stub axle spacers.

g.

• Like 1

welshpug

bearing is a standard 6000 series, 6006 2rs specifically

• Like 1

thanks for replies

I looked at bearing closely and decided to leave it and the existing bushing. It hasn't done that many miles and it turns without making any grinding noises so thought best leave well enough alone.

weird that the new metal bush is also narrower than the existing one. Yeah also where the 3 is marked - the new one looks like it is almost in two pieces where the inner bit looks like it matched the diameter of the existing one. 

I probably won't be racing it so it hopefully will be highly unlikely it would pop off like as 'sweetbadger'. no need for me to get it tack welded. 

now the shafts in the gearbox I can fill that with oil- reading posts and from haynes I have using 10W40 is also good 

for this BE1 gearbox. 

but this intermediate should be ok to pass the MOT in the first instance....... :)

20211027_154049.jpg

welshpug

10w40 is no good for a BE box, you want Total bv 75w80 or the more recent straight 75w.

• Like 1

DamirGTI
On 10/26/2021 at 6:15 PM, pug_ham said:

I found one of those rubber seals in my bits at the weekend whilst looking for some 1.9 stub axle spacers.

g.

Flog it on ebay as an "rare"/"museum value" hard-to-find old stock item ! :P

Now looking at it , think i've seen one or two but on Bx's or 405's back in the days .. never on a 205 or 309 though .

D

• Like 1

pug_ham
17 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Flog it on ebay as an "rare"/"museum value" hard-to-find old stock item ! :P

Haha, hmm maybe...

17 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Now looking at it , think i've seen one or two but on Bx's or 405's back in the days .. never on a 205 or 309 though .

D

In truth, I'm not even sure if it was a 205 / 309 I got this from, it might well have been either the BX or 405 I stripped!!

g

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pug_ham said:

In truth, I'm not even sure if it was a 205 / 309 I got this from, it might well have been either the BX or 405 I stripped!!

that's really interesting - I bought a haynes manual for the BX ages ago because someone said it had more useful 

diagrams applicable to the 205 - (309 for me), than the 205 HM itself. As you mentioned it I just thought I would have a quick look at the driveshaft section in this BX manual.

so now when I look at the section elevation dwg of the driveshafts is the deflector actually shown as marked per the arrow? photo 3 - from photo 2 - a4 sheet showing the driveshafts for the BX 

me also I have been looking through the internet at 205 driveshafts and never seen another photo of the deflector in position - weird. Also with the bush being larger and thinner than the one on the existing shafts I don't think the parts diagram - for me via miamitsu is correct .....? That diagram is defo. mirrored - is it unheard of for parts diagrams to be wrong? 

actually looks like the deflector a bit on another pic in the same section ? last pic 

I noticed it does fit exactly over the thickening in the shaft - the intermediate shaft middle/first section 

and that thickening is also at both ends - of the intermediate first shaft section 

Good news is my intermediate bearing looks exactly like the final pic for the BX :) 

thanks again @Gohn I think you are right - the parts diagram is confusing and or wrong 

20211028_164038.jpg

20211028_164052 - Copy.jpg

20211028_164334.jpg

Edited by Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi
updated photos