• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Steven Wylie

S16 low com forge pistons/rods in xu10j4rs

Steven Wylie

Hi so recently bought a job lot of turbo parts for my xu10j4rs project and in the lot there’s a set of good low comp forged s16 pistons and rods so it’s probably a bit of a silly question this but my plan was to fit them into my xu10j4rs engine but am I right in thinking the crank would need to be changed any pointers or help would be much appreciated. Thanks 

welshpug

crank is the same for all 2.0 XU engines bar the 405 T16, so can't imagine why it would need to be changed unless yours is worn/damaged.

Steven Wylie
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

crank is the same for all 2.0 XU engines bar the 405 T16, so can't imagine why it would need to be changed unless yours is worn/damaged.

Ok thanks wasn’t 100% sure as was just when I see people using the diesel crank with the s16 pistons and rods in these engines just thought they were different thanks 

SRDT

The early XU10 before 01/01/1993 had special crank, rods and bearings ; those are only found on the 605 and XM.

welshpug
5 hours ago, Steven Wylie said:

Ok thanks wasn’t 100% sure as was just when I see people using the diesel crank with the s16 pistons and rods in these engines just thought they were different thanks 

they are, xu10 is 86mm stroke, xud7 and 9 are 88mm,  how this works is that the S16 has flat topped pistons that sit 1mm below deck height so makes an easy high compression 2044cc engine.

Steven Wylie
19 hours ago, welshpug said:

they are, xu10 is 86mm stroke, xud7 and 9 are 88mm,  how this works is that the S16 has flat topped pistons that sit 1mm below deck height so makes an easy high compression 2044cc engine.

Ah right ok so I got the pic of the piston and rods when they are top dead and what it looks like is there 152 s16 pec rods with the gti-6 piston as I doin have a gauge on me but I would say they were 5-6mm below deck 

12E11471-EC11-457D-816B-54B9C0FFC9D2.jpeg

welshpug

crikey that would be awful off boost, compression would be so low!  gti6 rods are 158mm and the pistons come up almost to deck.

Steven Wylie

Yeah am not even goin to try them at that as you say compression be really low thinking av got 2 options either just buy forged gti-6 rods or see if I could get a 92mm crank but then don’t know how strong it would be 

welshpug

92mm crank would need different rods anyway as the crank is wider

Steven Wylie

Is it ah right never looked into it too much was just an idea oh well new rods it is