• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SeasidePete

Lift up reverse

SeasidePete

Forgive me if this has been asked before but....

In my 205GTI 5th is top left next to first. I had thought this meant lift up to get to reverse but I certainly don't have to lift up. It just goes into reverse.

Bloody annoying when trying to find 1st!

Should I have to lift up with this type of gear selector and if so, why don't I have to and can instead just select reverse as easy as any gear?

welshpug

depends what year it is, very early cars didnt have a cable but still had some sort of mechanism, up to late 89 they should have a collar under the gearknob connected to a cable

SeasidePete

Morning and thanks for reply.

My car is a bit of a Frankenstein i'm afraid. Previous owner did all sorts of stuff to it so its been fun working out what I actually have! Its an 89' 1.9 but i'm sure he said he put a 1.6 box on it. Did the 1.6 (or any 205 from this period) have a top left reverse that could be engaged without lift up?

welshpug

late 89 cars were when the be3 was introduced, so it may never have had the collar and cable fitted.

they can be retrofitted, the hole in the bulkhead is there, source a be1 gearstick cable and collar

SeasidePete

Ah, it does have a hold in the bulk head. 

But why now - with no lift up cable - does it go into reverse at top left with me having to lift up. I did think the only option for reverse without lift up was when reverse was bottom right which I thought was a BE3.

Bit confused TBH. I think its a BE1 as reverse is top left but I don't have to lift up!

welshpug

because the cable isnt fitted..

Ryan

The other end of the lift-up cable screws into the top of the gearbox and has a spring-loaded piece on the end that blocks off part of the gearbox select mechanism unless the cable is pulled. Without the cable there is nothing to block the mechanism, so it will go into reverse all the time.

SeasidePete

Ah, I see. Great and thanks both.

I shall have a root around the web to see how to sort. 

Many thanks.

SeasidePete

Sorry, one last thought/question - has anyone heard of anyone fabricating a gate to guide the gear lever in? Something like this....

ferrari-360-spider-gear-shift-gates-A8WC2B.jpg

SeasidePete

I fancy putting that in to help guide selecting although with the quick shift installed its pretty easy to get 2nd to 5th - its just first and reverse that I have trouble with. Or perhaps i'll get used to it over time.

Edited by SeasidePete
spelling