• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SeasidePete

Maxi Body Kit

SeasidePete

Evening all.

I have finally managed to source a "proper" Maxi body kit. 4 to 5 weeks delivery time.

While I wait I'm trying to work out the dimensions of the kit, specifically how much wider the track front and back will be. Does anyone know how much wider the kit actually makes the car please?

petert

I've been keen to buy a kit for some time. However, the cost of shipping to Australia for anything bigger than a shoebox has become prohibitive since covid. It's 1770mm, guard to guard. What are you going to do for driveshafts?

Edited by petert

SeasidePete

Thanks for reply. Is that dimension both rear and front wings? And when you say guard to guard, is that the outside edge of the wings i.e on this image where it says 1572. That becomes 1770mm?

The car is a bit of a Frankenstein if i'm honest. Previous owner did all sorts of bits and pieces to it but i've no history. Its been fun sourcing the right parts!

My car already has a wider track front and rear. I think its had xsara running gear installed. The wheels stick out about 100mm from the arches and they are on quite positive ET (im guessing 45) so they are already wide. Was probably gonna get the extra width from a Satchell hub spacer kit and lower or negative ET wheels.

Know what you mean about posting to Aus. I've got a message from a member here about a 1.8d Mardi Gras i'm offering for free for parts and he's asked for some bits and pieces but an initial check of whats needed to get it to Aus is telling me its not going to be simple nor cheap!

peugeot_205_gti-09777 dimensions width.JPG

petert

Yes, the overall width of the body/car, not the track. That measurement was given to me by Tony Palfrey, so I'd go with it. Thus the standard suspension & front tyres combination would be approx. 100mm inside the guard. I run 405 driveshafts and 15x8 ET-4 wheels, which coincidently gives a track of 1770mm.  Xsara driveshaft lengths are very similar to 405 from memory. Stay away from hub spacers.  I have no idea about the overall rear width of Maxi guards.

Edited by petert

SeasidePete

Thanks. Hopefully it's running xsara gear and I can forget the spacers and go back to seeking out some new wheels on negative ET.

Do you happen to know what the distance is between hubs on your 405 driveshafts? I will compare to mine. I was told they are xsara!

petert

I'm not sure what distance you mean. Do you mean hub face to hub face?

petert

A pic for your reference.

Car 121 May 2021.jpg

• Like 1

SeasidePete

She's a beaute! 

I mean this distance between the inside face of each hub. But I suppose what im trying to workout is the width of your driveshafts. I can compare to mine to work out if mine are wider than standard and therefore how much more width I need to add to get the wheels to fill the kit.

With that said though im not sure we are talking about the same Maxi kit. Im ordering the full Maxi kit with new front and rear wings as apposed to just arches. This one:

It doesn't look as wide as yours - not at the front anyway.

Maxi kit.JPG

welshpug

ask Tony Palfrey at Maximotorsport, he has a wide track 205, same front end as Colin Satchell, different body panels and wheels, as Tony's rally class limits him to 7" wide, not 9" that colin runs for hillclimb

petert

We’re definitely talking about the same kit. After crashing the car, I was going to buy a Maxi kit from Tony, instead of fixing it. I’d been in contact with Tony and thus I have the measurement.

The pic is to illustrate the wider track.

Edited by petert

SeasidePete

Cheers welshpug. I spoke with Tony when they stopped supplying the Maxi kit after brexit. He gave me the deets of the French company that (I'm assuming) supplied him. Just waiting for them to get back from holiday so I can arrange delivery.

And thanks Pete. Understood.

Think I'll wait until the kit is here and I can eyeball my wheels with it before deciding if I need to do something with the track.

Ive currently got a set of PS815011 on but they are only 15s so don't think they will sit well in the body kit?

petert

It's too hard to get an accurate hub-hub measurement with brakes on etc. If you subtract 2 x (101.6 +4) from 1770, you get approx 1558mm. That's half the wheel width plus the negative offset.

15" is the right size wheel. Whether you run 7", 8" or 9" is up to you. Just get the offset correct.

eg

7" +4

8" -4

9" -12

SeasidePete

That's great, cheers dude