• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

grelley

Flywheel bolt torque

grelley

Hi, can anyone give me the tightening torque for the flywheel bolts on an XU9J4 engine please.

Many  thanks Stephen

Gohn

Stephen,

pretty sure the Haynes manual doesn't have it,

I remember when I was taking mine off/on there was nothin to refer to

probably why you're askin ..

anyhow, the official Peugeot workshop manual for the XUD7 and XUD9 recommends 50Nm for the flywheel

the XU9 Petrol should be the same I suppose ?

others with more hands on experience with the GTi 1.9 will hopefully correct the above figure shortly if its right out

petert

yeah, 50Nm on the eight big ones and 25Nm on the six clutch cover bolts. That's how I always remember it, 25/50.

Don't forget to use some form of Loctite or sealant on the threads, otherwise oil will leak past and spoil your garage floor.

Edited by petert

grelley

Thanks very much or the information. Because the engine has an AP multi plate carbon clutch set up including the flywheel, and a steel crank, I thought the 9.00 mm bolts may have been an AP part, as these are unusual size bolts, but I see that these are standard XU9J4 flywheel bolts. Hopefully they are still available as a part.

Gohn

your part no for the bolts is 053713 and if I read it correctly, both the XUD's and XU9 have the same ones

also, fearing they'd be impossible to get, I reused my flywheel bolts

not sure if that's a big no no or what but its not a track racer just plodding along

DamirGTI

Myself i tend to reuse them ... only i always clean/wire brush off old thread-lock from each bolt , then wash off with brake cleaner or acetone and re-apply new/fresh thread lock .. never had problems , any loose bolts or similar afterwards .

If on the other hand i'm doing the engine for someone else but myself , then i insist on new ones ... as if the flywheel decides to "go south" , nasty injures can happened especially on a RHD cars .

D

• Like 1

petert

I treated my race car to a new set of bolts this year. First time since 1991.

welshpug

bolts are readily available.

I have managed to snap some re-used bolts with an inadvertent 5th to 2nd gearshift in an 8v.

welshpug

however the flywheel wont go anywhere if the bolts let go, it'll just spin on the nose of the crank, held in place by the clutch release bearing.

DamirGTI
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

5th to 2nd gearshift in an 8v.

Blimey ! that must've been "engine braking on steroids" kinda experience .. did the gearbox/bell-housing and engine survive this ?

Agreed .. if just the bolts loose/let go likely it wont do much , but then again guess it depends @ which rmp. it actually happens ... flywheel overheating will for sure , and especially (inexperienced) DIY flywheel lightening potentially make an complete under bonnet and cabin mess and likely legless people from the flying flywheel bits and pieces .

Stuff i see people do nowadays with DMF's (taking them to the extremes till they cut trough the bell-housing) , i really do not want to assemble engines for others with old bolts for them afterwards knocking on my door with an pair of wooden legs and a summons !

For myself for working on my own engines , i tend to first buy new bolts and from then use/re-use them 4 or 5 times .. then the next round starting again with new ones . But since they're not torque-to-yield type guess they can be reused multiple times , obviously if they're in good condition still .

D

DamirGTI
2 hours ago, petert said:

I treated my race car to a new set of bolts this year. First time since 1991.

.. and surely an tube or two of Threebond as well to "spice them up" , we know you like it ! :P

1991 -> would really like to go back there was lucky to be young at the time , seriously dislike this 2020-> sour years ... God knows what's lies ahead :ph34r:

D

petert

I do love ThreeBond 1211 but I don't use that on flywheel bolts. I prefer Loctite 243 for that purpose.

Looking back, those early '90's were just a blur.

welshpug
8 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Blimey ! that must've been "engine braking on steroids" kinda experience .. did the gearbox/bell-housing and engine survive this ?

Car did not slow down that much, revs went up lots, no idea what rpm, big flame as the ecu cut spark, big bang.

flywheel was sitting on end of crank just going round!   new bolts and dowel and all fine

luckily it was on motronic so would no longer run, no damage to the crank, jetronic would have kept running.

Edited by welshpug

DamirGTI

Wow , found that topic with the pics included ... interestingly all the bolts heads (+ dowel) sheared off on the crank end :blink:, suppose they're of specific grade (can't remember if they're 8.8 or 10.9 ?!) so that they act as an "fuse" is such cases , as me thinks if they where still holding on then the force would be on the engine and gearbox to suffer damage till it eventually stops .

Indeed , if it was jetronic/pick up , it would've likely been worse/longer till it cuts out .

D

SweetBadger

This is what happens if the engine continues to run:

surprised it kept running as the crank sensor is used for the engine management.