• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

richard64

Shorted wire under dash board

richard64

I have a short in the wiring probably the thick red wire on connector E of the fuse board as removing connector E removes the large current draw. Are there likely areas for this to short and how do I gain access to the loom so I can replace the wire as I don't think I will have much confidence that  it is fixed unless I replace the entire length of the wire. It has been showing up as an intermittent fault for a while and car keeps stopping. 

Thanks

pugdamo

How much is your current draw? Without looking through the wiring diagrams I'm sorry but I couldn't say what that quite does but I would imagine it's the main power supply for the board. I would connect up the amp meter as you have done and pull the fuses one at a time until the draw goes, then once you have isolated the circuit, unplug the components on that circuit one at a time and hopefully its a component issue. I'll have a look at a wiring diagram this evening if you still have no joy, I'm camping with my kids so it will give me something to do once they have gone to sleep lol. 

richard64

Thanks Damian, I think the wire is 2 or 2b and is red. Current is only drawn when ignition is switched on to engine running position and wire is unfused. Current draw is >10amps and the wire shows signs of overheating at the fuse box end (minimal) and I have had to repair the wire to the left of steering wheel. I am guessing that this wire continues to the coil and that the short must be near the bulkhead or in engine compartment but not entirely sure of the path of the wire. If I am correct then I might be able to get away with just replacing the drivers footwell to engine bay section which would save all the hassle of removing all the dash. 

welshpug

that is the main ignition switched live from fusebox to coil indeed.

depending on yeat but for most it takes a rather convoluted route from socket E on the fusebox across the car to the pair of brown under dash plugs then through the bulkhead around to the front of the engine and across to the coil.

richard64

Well I suppose it was to be expected. The permanent short has gone away so I can't now work out which section of red wire 2 or 2b is faulty. 

It looks like I am going to have to take out and inspect at least  one section of the wiring loom. Which section is easier to start with, fuse box to steering wheel or steering wheel though bulk head to engine.

If I can get the car to the state shown in the picture is that sufficient to remove both sections of the wiring harness or does the whole dash need to come out.

Is there a good guide for this. 

Any help/advice appreciated    

peugeot 205 dashboard wiring.jpg

richard64

IMG_20210816_171544.thumb.jpg.baccf1303d2675eea68337fad1ebccda.jpg

Still investigating the short circuit and loosing the will to live rapidly. Lower half of console has all been taken off but short circuit has gone away. The problematic wire seems to follow the top half of the dash, so that has to come off next. Is that easy and if so how?  

During the investigation I have found some nibbled wires. Repaired a couple where I could find both ends but left with the mystery wire in the picture. it seems to disappear off towards the radio connector but no idea where the other end goes. It seems grouped with other wires that go to a black connector on the passenger side of the car,