• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MVK

TU24 Euro Rallye Engine Rebuild Information

MVK

Morning all,

I've been asked by a friend who has a Euro Spec 205 Rallye to rebuild the engine this summer, as the oil pump apparently failed.

Due to the engine being rather rare - and not sold in the UK - does someone have a maintenance manual/engine tolerance specs/torque values etc that I could have access to? 

Also, any hints or tips or common pitfuls for these engines. I have experience with the XU5 and the XU9 engines as i used to own a Mi16 that needed a lot of engine work. 

Picture is of the car for anyone interested.

Thanks in advance! 

Matthew.

205rallye.jpeg

welshpug

its quite rare for a psa oil pump to fail,I would want to strip and inspect the whole engine before condemning any part of it.

high oil temps leading to degradation and worn bearings at high clearances is more likely, or contamination of engine oil from carbs needing a service.

other than specific bore stroke etc I'd use normal tu specifications, I doubt they will be any different.

MVK
2 minutes ago, welshpug said:

its quite rare for a psa oil pump to fail,I would want to strip and inspect the whole engine before condemning any part of it.

high oil temps leading to degradation and worn bearings at high clearances is more likely, or contamination of engine oil from carbs needing a service.

other than specific bore stroke etc I'd use normal tu specifications, I doubt they will be any different.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually seen the car or engine so i'm not condemning any components as of yet - maybe that wasn't clear in my post.

The owner isn't sure what the problem is and I think through some finger is the air speculation he decided the oil pump was the cause. A full strip down and inspection is my first port of call and i'll assess the damage from there. 

So the general architecture of all TU engines is the same? I seem remember the main points of difference between engines was to do with piston pin assembly (whether the conrod is piston centred or crank centred) - if these things are the same then I'll just use my old 205 haynes manual that i think is still on my shelf. It will be a few weeks before I'm back in the UK and looking at it, i'll post some pics perhaps if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

SRDT

The piston centered conrod that's on the XU9J4, the TU24 rods are just regular TU1 rods.

The TU24 block is a TU9/TU1 short block with a special crank. The liners have the same bore than the TU3, they may or may not be directly borrowed from an older X engine.

DamirGTI

Had privilege rebuilding one of these , it's basically the same as all the rest lower spec. alu. TU's .. as said , it's just the internal parts that are different - cam , pistons , liners and crank which are TU24 specific ... also , cylinder head ports and valves are little bit different than the other "economy" TU heads .

I have somewhere book for rebuilding TU24 (in French) , if you need some data ..

D

Edited by DamirGTI

ilovemypug
Tideee
On 7/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, MVK said:

Thanks for the advice. I haven't actually seen the car or engine so i'm not condemning any components as of yet - maybe that wasn't clear in my post.

The owner isn't sure what the problem is and I think through some finger is the air speculation he decided the oil pump was the cause. A full strip down and inspection is my first port of call and i'll assess the damage from there. 

So the general architecture of all TU engines is the same? I seem remember the main points of difference between engines was to do with piston pin assembly (whether the conrod is piston centred or crank centred) - if these things are the same then I'll just use my old 205 haynes manual that i think is still on my shelf. It will be a few weeks before I'm back in the UK and looking at it, i'll post some pics perhaps if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Hi Matt - how did you get on with your TU24 rebuild ??....did you have any pictures to share :D

Thanks ;)