• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnyma22

Indicating Left causes Wiper Motor to trigger as if washer jet was pressed on right stalk

johnyma22

I have an intermittent problem.  If I indicate left OR put the hazard switch on then the wipers go 3 times (as if the screen wash was initiated).  Indicating right doesn't cause a problem.

The problem comes and goes, so I'm assuming it's a bad connection.  I checked the usual suspects (bad earthing on front panel) while the issue was present and giving it a good shufty around (avoiding the spinning alternator) doesn't fix the issue.

Because the problem happens both with the Indicator and Hazard switch I don't think it's the stalk or hazard switch.  I haven't tried applying 12v live to the indicator bulb holder (while still connected to the car) but I guess that could be a good test.

Anyone ever experienced this before and has some pointers where to prod? 

Cheers!

Edited by johnyma22

johnyma22

I tested each relay with known good, no change.

Replacing Hazard switch with known good, no change.

I noticed that the wipers "wiping" only happens when indicating left and pressing the break pedal and only the wiper only stops if I stop indicating left (or set Hazard switch to "off" state).

Edited by johnyma22

SRDT

Keep looking for a bad ground, with the left indicator you have at most four of them: front indicator, repeater, light on the dash, rear indicator. The brake pedal points to the rear or the dash.

johnyma22

No dice on the bad ground, my probe is showing good continuity at all point, bike shedding this problem till a later date.

Tom Fenton

It’s absolutely a bad earth. The indicator is back feeding the washer pump, this is enough to trigger the wiper motor.

welshpug

agree with Tom, have had the sidelights do the same thing, they share the same earth point.

Gohn

testing for continuity doesn't prove all the earth's are good

even when I use some kind of electrical gadget I'm never real sure exactly what its telling me

lights are flashing, beeps are beepin and I'm the weakpoint

get back into engine bay and look at the right front and left front earths next to each headlight,

check the main one (on either the left side of block/head or top of gearbox)

and the one on the left front wing panel behind the washer reservoir

make sure everything is secure and corrosion free

from memory there's also an earth up under dash to left of steer column

don't ever stop riding a bike though

johnyma22

I'm using a probe I'm familiar with that tells me the resistance between the earth and the negative terminal on the battery.

It's worth noting btw I'm really familiar with these earth points as they are common failure on a lot of my projects and I often have to either re-spot weld the front panel onto the car or run a new earth to the front panel which is what I have done on this project so I know those earths are good.

Thanks anyway! :)