• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gavin Waddell

Good fast road tyres

Gavin Waddell

I need to buy a set of new tyres for my 1.6 gti. I’ve looked on a few websites and Michelin’s pilot sportsman seem to come on top. But before I splash out I was wondering 

What tyres do you guys run and how do you rate them. Nothing better than some first hand experience.

Thanks Gavin 

DamirGTI

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 .

Very good wet and dry .. wet especially ...

Fair price , for me Uniroyal's are always best bang for the buck .

Just little bit softer sidewalls can be slightly "wobbly" on a heavier car but you inflate them little bit more to cure that , and they tend to wear faster than Michelin's , Continental's , Dunlop's etc. but if you don't do much mileage per year doesn't really matter as odds are it'll kick the 6 year time for replacement with still enough thread left unused .

Hankook tyres also , lately they're stared to get increasingly better and better , also recommended .

D

Steve205

I also have Uniroyal rainsports on mine. Excellent grip, wet or dry as Damir said. I do about 3000 miles a year. Find them great.

Stephen 

Telf

ToYO on mine. Seem decent . Never lost grip as yet

petert

Interesting. We haven't had Uniroyals in Australia since the '80's I'd suggest. I last remember them as a 70 profile.

Gavin Waddell

What king of toyos? Proxes TR1

Thijs_Rallye

I like the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (195/150x15) for street use. Toyo R888 for trackdays or straight up idiotic driving :D

welshpug

I run Uniroyal on both dailys, in common sizes they are very reasonably priced, very good in the rain (as they should be, being called rainsport/rainexpert)

they are softer sidewalls than some so not ideal id you'll be leaning on them, I use Michelin on anything with a 15" tyre though.

welshpug
22 hours ago, Telf said:

ToYO on mine. Seem decent . Never lost grip as yet

not tried hard enough :P   (dont have to try hard at all in my experience!)    unless its an R888 of course...