• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gohn

Diesel Fuel Feed Banjo Air Leak

Gohn

hey ho,

had a persistent problem of air getting into my diesel injection pump/engine

after weeks and months of searching and replacing lenghts/clips/hoses/filters all the way along my fuel feed line from the tank forward, some of them several times each, I have finally found the problem:

my newly refurbished injection pump had a dud IN banjo connection. I assume that because it was brand new rebuilt by a good rebuilder, it couldn't be anything on the pump. But once I swapped the bad banjo for a good one and tried it, the engine now starts first crank and runs smooth always. no bleeding, no surging, no mess

I've now resurfaced the bad banjo with some fine wet/dry sandpaper on a glass bench.  all the convex and concave areas are gone from both the upper and lower sealing surfaces. now they are level and form a good seal with the copper washers.

no more air getting into the pump/engine

just thought I'd mention it in case it saves any other 205 diesel nuts some time

banjo1.JPG

banjo3.JPG

Ozymandis

I bet that took some finding, they used that for a customers car. I would stay away from them from now on.

PhilNW

Good feedback

DarrenCottam

currently got an STDT with an air ingress problem. Mine is upstream of the pump though, can see the air bubbles in the clear pipe between the filter and pump. 

I know much a pain in the arse it is, glad you found the culprit! 

Gohn
12 hours ago, DarrenCottam said:

can see the air bubbles in the clear pipe between the filter and pump. 

STDT !

in tracking my problem down I had to install sections of clear pipe at various points also

started where you did and worked back (at that point I was still assuming the pump banjos were sound)

I even put a hand priming bulb between the filter and the inj pump

when you pull the bubbles out of the filter and push them into the injctn pump with the hand bulb, the revs shoot up

so air in the system stuffs up a nice gentle idle and everything else badly

I kinda reckon an AIRTIGHT fuel feed is THE most important thing in a diesel

you'd think it was fairly straightforward to achieve, but I've counted every connection point from the tank to the injection pump

there are 8 hose/pipe clamp points, and the filter has another 7 points that could also fail and that's assuming the hoses and pipes themselves are good

..and they can leak without any sign of drips

....and getting access to replace sections is a lot of work

the D's always been good, but the Dturbo's made up for it ..

the tool that sold me the engine didn't send all the proper hoses, peugeot over complicates it, and the pump refurb had a banjo with a bum note

still, great little engine when it gets what it needs