• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Mac Crash

Race seats information

Mac Crash

I'm needing to buy a couple of seats for a 205 rally car and have some questions.

Do they come in different sizes? is this marked on them? I really want small sized narrow ones but when

looking at Corbeau, Sparco and Sabelt etc, there is just generic information, no details of size.

Just looking for decent entry level seats, nothing fancy but prefer fibreglass to steel, what do you have in your rally/race car?

Where to buy seats? or who to deal with?

Biggles

Manufacturers do publish sizes (and there are many) but some make it easier to find the info than others.  I'm 6'2" and 100kg - the car I co-drive in has Bimarco Futuras in it - not the most comfy but OK.  My car has Motordrive seats in it - noticeably more money but worth every penny - plus visit them in Preston and they'll pad it to suit your shape.  I'm on my 2nd set.  I can (and have) sat in them pretty much all day and got out feeling fine - not something I can say about other brands.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

I don’t think there’s much alternative to actually sitting in some if possible TBH.

Funnily I’m a similar size to Biggles at 6’2 and around 90kg at the moment. However I’ve struggled not with width so much as my arse is fairly narrow, but with back length- seemingly I’m quite long from arse to shoulders meaning some off the shelf seats are ok width wise but too short meaning the shoulder “wings” end up in my armpits. This in Motordrive standard size seats meaning I needed a tall version which they do make. As a sometime road rally navigator after 6 hours in the car it was really uncomfortable.

My current favourites are Sparco Pro2000 which fit me well and are comfy. It depends very much on your frame tbh. I can just about get in a Sparco Rev for example to move a car but wouldn’t want to sit in one for long.

• Like 1

barneys66

Agree with Tom, you can't beat parking your bum in some to see how all of the variables fit you.  It's also worth noting the top harness holes as you don't want those pulling your shoulders down, depending on where your straps are mounted.

Do you need them to be in date?  Either way Google is your friend - have a good measure of yourself and you can start narrowing it down.  Sparco for example:

Sparco_Seat_Dimension_Chart.jpg

I went from steel Sprints to fibreglass Evo II Plus, and the difference in comfort was night and day.  A lot of it to do with back height, but I wouldn't go back to a steel frame seat if I could avoid it.

37026037225_bb23d3c224_h.jpg

• Like 1

Mac Crash

Thanks very much for info, guy's, it's all helpful. I'm 5 10" at 70kg hence the need for small seats, but...

Looking at the chart, the Sparco Rev might be a good choice for me in 'S' and bonus being fibreglass too.

I think main issue is something I didn't mention... I have a few old Sparco Evo seats (years out of date now)

that I tried in the car just for fitment reasons and discovered the bases were actually wider than the distance

between the side rails... I'm only realising now, and remembering that the car originally came with seats that

were base mounted rather than side mounted, so the holes in the fabricated seat rails were obviously drilled

to suit the dimensions for this, and not side mounts. Don't laugh ;-) So I just need to drill new holes for the

side mounts to match the width of the seat. Right, I can go and buy some seats now brain fade has passed.