• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andyajg

Earth wiring issues

Andyajg

Hi,I'm restoring a 205 Open 1.4 and have had a few earthing issues all NSF.

The washer jet, indicator and main beam all wouldn't work, I've run separate earth wires from each and they all work fine but obviously I must have an earth issue and was looking for pointers as to where the problem might lie,I would rather sort than run the separate earth wires.

The only earth wires I can see in  the engine bay on that side are from the battery and what looks like a wire from the loom to the same earth as the battery wire.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks Andy.

Ozymandis

On the front panel uprights there are 2 earth commoning points, they are held onto captive m6 studs by a flanged nut, they are in little elasticated bags a bit like a tiny shower cap it is usually these that are manky.

They are the same part as inside the boot left hand side, if You end up looking for better ones.

Joecar

Hi Andy, 

I also have issues with my earth so here's the earth points I know of that you might want to check; your car may not have all of them.

1) Battery to gearbox/engine block

2) Battery to chassis somewhere around distributor

3) Battery to steering column

4) Left and right side next to the radiator (the ones Jay mentioned; these tend to get corroded badly)

5) Behind the window washer fluid reservoir (I didn't know about that one until yesterday either) 

6) Behind rear left light 

Check for corrosion and clean all surfaces, if corrosion is too much you might want to re-do the whole earth point. 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Andyajg

Thanks Guys, I'll check them all out tomorrow,much appreciated.