• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NOsMAN

MOT failure

NOsMAN

Well it had to happen sooner or later. Luckily they are minor items : indicators stopped working on the left side and horn stopped working.

The garage wants to call out the auto electrician but it take a week they said, so took the car home. 

After a bit of investigation found the root cause of both problems and several hours later gotten both things working again :D

Will call the garage on Monday to cancel the auto electrician  and save myself a fortune in the process. £120 per/hr is too expensive :P

309SRiguy

My horn and rear window heater are not working. They are on the same circuit on the 309.

Changing stalks and testing gave continuity as far as the fuse board. 

After searching I found all the symptoms I've had and a possible cause - and cure. Tomorrow I will inspect the relay joints on the board. Thanks SRDT and Gohn.

Scroll down on the page linked below.

Would you like to explain how you fixed your problem? It is good to pass the knowledge around for others to evaluate when they encounter similar faults.

Joecar

Glad to hear that you got the issues sorted. I'd also be interested to hear what you did to fix your issues. 

Gohn
On 3/27/2021 at 6:11 AM, NOsMAN said:

found the root cause of both problems

which was ... ?

please do tell NOsMAN

NOsMAN

I traced all the wiring back from the lights to the switch and power cable. Cleaned all the connections and noticed a lot of rust on them so cleaned everything with wire wool and fixed all the issues. Just awkward to clean but at least it saved me money.

NOsMAN

Did the same thing with the horn which also did the trick.

309SRiguy

Thanks, NOsMAN. I was hoping for a nice easy fix that might save me some time. I have found that sometimes it takes a lot of time to save money.

I started at the other end of the system. 

Testing showed irregular contact at the horn stalk. Replaced with a good one. Still no horn. Checked connector behind centre fascia and found one of the horn wires had broken off the spade connector. Possibly it was only holding by one strand until I tried to separate the plug for testing. Soldered wire to spade connector. Still no horn. Relay is working.

Decided that it must be the relay mount fractured as in article above. Pulled all plugs from fuse board to remove the backing plate to inspect but no fracture seen.

At least removing the board makes it easier to identify the wires by the codes which are almost impossible to read when they are plugged into the board.

Now to trace from the circuit board to horn and check earths.

It looks like I will have to dismantle half of the front of the car to get at the horn.

The only bright spot in the process is thinking what the job would have cost if done by an auto electrician who knew nothing about 32 year old Peugeots.

Gohn

just in case bryan, might save you ripping half your car down :

make sure the horn earth is done properly, I'd done it wrong in the past and its an easy fix

if you've got one of the base model horns its a little black plastic snail , pretty cool, made by FIAMM I think

the earth wire must contact the horn direct to the earth cluster

horn, earth wire, perforated washer, brackets, nut

unless you get a rare good one, most auto elec's will just look at you weird and scratch their heads