• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Connor

White Smoke on Startup from GT

Connor

Hi everyone,

So my GT with the TU3S engine let out an enormous plume of white smoke on startup yesterday. Just very briefly once it turned over and then stopped completely. I know that generally this is quite a bad sign, but I have checked the oil and coolant levels and they are fine, the car isn't overheating at all and there is no mayo on the oil filler cap.  There was no smoke when driving the car, just on startup. The only other odd thing recently is that it has died a few times at the lights when idling.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? I haven't turned it on since this happened, but it was a bit alarming and hope to have something to check before turning it on.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

DamirGTI

Likely just condensation .. especially if it was damp/humid those days .

If it's burning coolant it'll smell sweet (burning antifreeze) and the smoke will be really thick white the larger the leak the more intense , light/misty white on cold start which vanishes after warm up is condensation , blue oil , gray/black fuel (rich mixture) .

If the coolant level is fine and there's no sweet smelling exhaust , that'll be fine . Burning coolant sweet smelling exhaust you can sense even after warm up when there's no visible white smoke from the exhaust (if the leak isn't as severe) , by just walking around the car the sweet sent will be present around it .

If still in doubt , do a chemical "block test" .

D