• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arbor

1.6 alloy wheel balancing-recommendations NE or South Scotland

arbor

I'm trying and failing to find tyre fitters who can still balance a 1.6 pepperpot alloy. Anyone know a company who could balance in South Scotland or North East England? Thanks

arbor

Thanks, I was there yesterday. they got rid of all the balancing bits for the 1.6 when they replaced the balancers. Tried all Redpath branches.

farmer

Did you Micky at Mill Garage

arbor

Tried, C&R, Redpath, ATS, Hall tune, Serviceline, Westend Garage, Dave Brydon Tyres, Complete Auto Repair and some boy in Hawick. However, Ostles in Gala still have a balancer for pepperpots, not cheap though.

Thanks, appreciated.

Tom Fenton

They are a pain in the arse. After the only local place here with the adaptor charged me £15 per wheel plus VAT (£72 :( )  just to balance them i told them I would never use them again and went and bought my own balancer with the right adaptor for closed centre wheels.

Gohn

this old gem

nice rims but everything about them is a hassle

over here its the same

before my last balance I knew it'd be hard so I called first to avoid arriving at the tyre shop and being told "we cant balance those wheels"

but they just lie to get your business or dont even know

there is the occasional post asking arbor's question ( which garages can still balance them)

there are (smart) owners have done what Tom did, and get their own balancer and take it with them each time

then there are others that either get rid of their pepperpots or try and have the centres removed

i looked into the stupidest option - getting a machinist to remove the centres on a lathe

but it was expensive and a massive pita

cant lathe the centres without the tyres off, so have to wait til the tyres need replacing, then get tyres removed by the place that you've bought the new set from, then take them to the machinist, then back to the tyre shop to have the new set fitted and balanced

too hard

if there are any tips on where to get the balance adapter for closed centre wheels I'd also like to get one ..