• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

Wing Mirror Removal

Gohn

thought I might swap the RightFront wing mirror but haven't ever removed one before and there's no obvious fasteners to remove from the outside surfaces

its a May '92 build date. the others I've driven from Oct '91 to '93. all with the manual little arm to adjust

is there some point I should start in with my clip removal tool ?

the one that's on the car (and the reason Im considering removal) has a different perspective than all the other ones I've ever seen. it looks completely original to the car, same as the others, but its like the glass is a much wider angle. so each time I look from road to rear vision mirror to wing mirror its out. everything else is normal, even the other side mirror, and the RF wing mirror image is at a different perspective . maybe the factory just got a different batch of glass for this one ?

like looking thru a 24mm camera lens instead of a regular 50mm. its not exteme like those fisheye ones with "Objects are closer than they appear", but still offputting

wingmirror.JPG

Ryan

The whole mirror comes off as one piece. The triangular trim piece around the adjustment lever pulls off and there are three screws behind it. The screws go through some white plastic spacers that reinforce the mounting, so make sure these don't drop inside the door.

If you just wanted to change the glass then it's glued in place. If you pull the rubber boot back you might be able to get a finger in to push it from the back.

Tom Fenton
2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The whole mirror comes off as one piece. The triangular trim piece around the adjustment lever pulls off snapping its three pins in the process!! and there are three screws behind it. The screws go through some white plastic spacers that reinforce the mounting, so make sure these don't drop inside the door.

Edited!!

bacardincoke

Everything's super fragile and almost certain to break... probably why there's copy interior panels now available, there's a market for them!

Might be worth considering just putting a new self adhesive mirror over of the old, they're readily available too and no dismantling involved. Might even be (an incorrect) one already on, possibly explain why it's not reflecting correctly?

Gohn

had a very careful around and noticed the screws and spacers mentioned

I've already got a replacement mirror but it's as suggested - soon as you move anything, there's a shower of plastic bits

the one with the wider perspective is original, its not been bodged on but its still odd

thanks all

lagonda

It could be that you have a left hand drive mirror fitted. The mirrors are different, although they appear identical. I moved to France and bought a job lot of 205 parts, including door mirrors. My driver's door mirror later got broken ... no worries ... I've got spares! Fitted one of the French ones, all fine until I went to adjust it ... and found the range of adjustment was just outside that needed. Illogicality is rife here in France .... a logical manufacturer would make one mirror with sufficient adjustment for use in RHD & LHD cars .... too simple for the French!

Gohn

think I've misunderstood

if you were driving a french car, in france, wouldn't the job lot LHD wing mirror be right for you though??

anyway, don't think mine is LHD..

its got the normal range of movement and there's no problem setting it in the right spot for driving

lagonda

I bought my CTi when I was living in the UK, back in 2003 ... moved to France in 2010, so it's a UK market RHD car.