• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fallowsnz

205 xs starting issues

Fallowsnz

Had my 205 xs for a few years and a few months it developed a very annoying starting issue. So on a dry day car starts as expected for a manual choke 205, but on a wet/damp morning it'll initially start fine and i'll get it backed out of the garage but when i go to drive away it'll stall. Then if it doesn't start first  go i can't get it started. Pretty stumped on this one as when a check it has spark and fuel but just won't start. Will tease you by firing occasionally on a couple of cylinder.. Then a couple of hours later it'll start up all good..

And it really is a damp/wet day problem, if it's just rained a little over night and is just a bit damp in the morning it'll bog down really badly when you accelerate but if you keep it from stalling it's all good and once the engine is up to temperature runs great. Once or twice on really rainy days i've had it bog down when accelerating.  Over summer we have long dry spells and car starts sweet as every day..

Coming to the end of summer here and thinking it to be great to get to the bottom of this before winter.

Would be great to here your thought on this. cheers, neil

IMGP0078.JPG

Birch81

Is the choke functioning correctly? Fully open etc assuming it's still using the 32/34 z2 solex?

Fallowsnz

Turned out to be the distributor cap, running great now what ever the weather. 

Birch81

Glad it's sorted