Jump to content

Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

  • Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

    Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Issue with non genuine headlight stalk

Recommended Posts

ATK

Anyone had an issue fitting a non genuine headlight stalk? Bought one from France and the little plastic lever which moves when indicating seems to be wrong shape and stops it from fitting correctly - genuine one has a flat lever whilst aftermarket seem to have an L shaped lever meaning it catches on the steering wheel and won’t sit right? Anyone else had this issue? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gohn

I've just got a valeo one, which I presume is OE

but I haven't fitted it yet (busy doin other stuff)

so can't give any decent feedback on your issue

 

sorry couldn't be any decent help

but when I do get around to fitting it, if I come across problemos, I'll ding a reply in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI

Ditto , bought two Valeo stalks .. one is in use for some time now with no problems what so ever .

 

Valeo stalks are good .. unsure about other aftermarket alternatives .

 

All the stalks i've seen for 205/309/405's have flat leaver , never seen one with L shaped .

 

The leaver on Valeo stalks is metal made , if yours is plastic modify it/cut the L part off and make it flat  .. if it's otherwise good ?

Or if you still have old one you can disassemble it and switch over the leaver on the new one .. it's a bit fiddly taking the stalk apart but if you're patient it's doable .. but if you can make L "straight" as it's plastic that's the easiest .  

 

D

 

Pic of the new Valeo stalk :

IMG_9046.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ATK
On 2/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, Gohn said:

I've just got a valeo one, which I presume is OE

but I haven't fitted it yet (busy doin other stuff)

so can't give any decent feedback on your issue

 

sorry couldn't be any decent help

but when I do get around to fitting it, if I come across problemos, I'll ding a reply in

 

 

any idea where I can buy a valeo one? Have searched the net and ordered from two different places only to be told it's out of stock!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ATK
On 2/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, DamirGTI said:

Ditto , bought two Valeo stalks .. one is in use for some time now with no problems what so ever .

 

Valeo stalks are good .. unsure about other aftermarket alternatives .

 

All the stalks i've seen for 205/309/405's have flat leaver , never seen one with L shaped .

 

The leaver on Valeo stalks is metal made , if yours is plastic modify it/cut the L part off and make it flat  .. if it's otherwise good ?

Or if you still have old one you can disassemble it and switch over the leaver on the new one .. it's a bit fiddly taking the stalk apart but if you're patient it's doable .. but if you can make L "straight" as it's plastic that's the easiest .  

 

D

 

Pic of the new Valeo stalk :

 

You can see the L shaped lever here, cutting the end off makes it too short to reach the tab on the back of the steering wheel to turn the indicators off

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI

£319.99 + postage for that "L" shaped one on ebay !! :o , cheeky bastards , someone needs a bloody good hiding ....

 

Those are Chinese Aliexpress knock off stalks , for average 5-to-6 quid per piece .. hence the ebay listed price for them ridiculously inflated !

 

Identical stalks also came as re-boxed "Italian made" stalks , in blue "Hoffer" or yellow "Sitad" box .. also as "Meat & Doria" , "Stark" , "Polcar" and possibly some other too  ... those are around 50 quid per piece at the EU car parts shops . So be aware .

 

Dunno what they made them for anyway , with that L shaped tab ... strange .

 

 

Valeo currently seems to be out of stock ... try : "Febi 17941" , or "Van Wezel 4025Z91" , they look like the Valeo stalks on the pics (with correct indicator tab) possibly they're made by Valeo but repacked in different box .

 

 

D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI
1 hour ago, DamirGTI said:

Dunno what they made them for anyway , with that L shaped tab ... strange .

 

Mystery solved , the "L" tab stalks are for Renault's ! (R19 , Clio Mk1..) .. so ingeniously , they're using the same stalk main body with just the different switching leaver slapped onto it and sold as fit for Peugeot . 

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gohn

everyone needs a Damir to unpick all the scams !

I just paid $150 for a set of wheels I cant use. its painful , we all get dudded occasionally

 

I actually got my indicator stalk locally (lots of stuff I have to get UK/Europe), didn't need it immediately but I knew they were hard to find so when I saw this ad below I bought it:

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Valeo-Steering-Column-Switch-251210-fits-Peugeot-205-20A-C-1-4-more/324084542893?fits=Make%3APeugeot&hash=item4b74f1adad:g:Q0EAAOSwrnNfaWQu&frcectupt=true

 

shipping will probably be costly to UK but usually Im the one paying it

its got Valeo plastered all over the ad, but lower down it says "Brand may vary if Valeo if unavailable"

so when I bought it I emailed the seller and said if not Valeo please cancel order.

Maybe that seller got a bunch of them before stocks ran out ?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stewal

I got valeo stalks from GSF and Euro car parts in the past - with both of them its worth checking stock in individual stores not just  centrally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI
10 hours ago, Gohn said:

I just paid $150 for a set of wheels I cant use. its painful , we all get dudded occasionally

 

Yeah , we've all been stiched up by dishonest salesman's .. it's an sour feeling .

 

But what makes me angry the most is , in pair with the rise of the Chinese economy , across the EU came all sorts of "re-boxer" parts supplier brands which appear/pops up like mushrooms after rain , various brand which nobody long enough in car repair business never heard of  before ... claiming/offering top quality parts and all sorts of PR bulls*it , when all that is it's just cheaply made Chinese parts re-packed in different boxes and sold at a much higher price i.e. generates profit over crap .

 

Germany is especially interesting with regards to this cheap parts scam business .. as it appears , by the Germain law , no matter the country of origin if one imports an pallet of some kind of crap from China then unbox it and flip that crap in Germany based warehouse in different boxes then he can claim that crap as an "Germain quality" product ! .. Which they always print on the boxes with big bold letters , and the re-pack boxes are always nice looking made out of good quality cardboard .

Thus the people gets deceived by thinking they've bought something good/better , or even for real made in Germany .

 

I know a few "operations" which spotted this opportunity , and they're now opening up warehouses in Germany for this very reason .. companies from Russia , Poland and the likes .

Parts like coils , modules , MAF sensors , sensors in general , bearings , engine mounts are most commonly used .. and with which people must be careful what they're buying .

 

D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI
2 hours ago, stewal said:

I got valeo stalks from GSF and Euro car parts in the past - with both of them its worth checking stock in individual stores not just  centrally.

 

No doubt it's this "global influenza" to blame .. which made a mess in the production and distribution of various car parts , i see also prices of some parts gone up as a result .

 

Valeo stalks are made in Tunisia , says so on the box .

Think they make them for others too , like Febi etc. .. thus the same part can be found in different branded box .

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ATK

Thanks all, I better get searching!

 

I ordered a Febi one but the stalk was longer than the original Peugeot OEM one, so ended up sending it back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rorykeen

I’ve got one you can have but I’m not sure on the brand, it’s an original from a 1992 model

BEE115AE-3B70-4AB1-B255-BC8EC5B8CAEE.jpeg

A70F0CD9-2D66-41C0-A86C-9778D5BD6B9F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI
1 hour ago, ATK said:

I ordered a Febi one but the stalk was longer than the original Peugeot OEM one, so ended up sending it back!

 

That'll be 405 stalk then me thinks .. overall same shape as 205/309 stalk but with the longer activation/switching leaver .

 

Anyhow the 405 stalk wont fully work when plugged on a 205 loom , lights will but not the indicators .. not sure if it can be rewired to make the indicators work .

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gohn

ha yeah,

I looked at a 405 stalk and wondered if it would work, it was cheaper than the 205 one

13 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

the 405 stalk wont fully work when plugged on a 205 loom , lights will but not the indicators

nice offer from Rory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DamirGTI

Unfortunately no , i took one of from an low mileage Ph1 405 at the scrappy as it looked about the same .. wouldn't really mind it being a little bit longer leaver than the 205 one if everything worked as supposed .

 

Think it might be rewired for use on a 205 , so that it switches the indicators , haven't tried that yet .. keeping it as an spare/emergency for the lights only .

 

I've also disassembled and assembled at least 3 or 4  205 stalks which went bust , but simply cannot figure out what wears out inside that needs replacing .. one square white plastic part seems suspicious but .. .. . still no idea .

 

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ATK
On 2/16/2021 at 8:13 PM, Rorykeen said:

I’ve got one you can have but I’m not sure on the brand, it’s an original from a 1992 model

BEE115AE-3B70-4AB1-B255-BC8EC5B8CAEE.jpeg

A70F0CD9-2D66-41C0-A86C-9778D5BD6B9F.jpeg

Ah that be brill mate - is it all working fine? Eg full beam latching on ok etc? Pm me with how much you want for it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rorykeen

It’s working fine mate, I tried it as my horn isn’t working and I thought it was this at fault but it isn’t ! Pm me your address and you can pay the postage for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ATK

Thats great mate so good of you, pm incoming!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×