• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

Bootlight staying on?!

ATK

Finally diagnosed my battery drain - boot light is staying on! Disconnected the switch and it still stays on, is this normal for a faulty switch? I thought disconnecting the switch would turn it off?!

bacardincoke

Don't know if Phase 1 or 2 cars differ and unless yours has been changed or added to at some point plus it's a Phase 1.5 car the switch is a gravity type situated inside the rear hatch (same general area as the wiper motor).

There's 2 x metal bearings that roll up and down inside a white opaque 'jelly bean' style plastic container as the hatch is lifted or closed. They make and break the earth contact. Apparently they can get sticky with age and I suppose either stay on or stay off depending on the individual switch.

Mine was stuck in the off position... it can with care be dismantled, cleaned and lubed again.

You'll only see the switch by removing the plastic inner panel on the hatch.

ATK

Yeah i can see the switch as ive changed it before - I’m confused as when I unplug the switch, it still stays on!

bacardincoke

The wires on the back of the boot light obviously go to the switch, mine were pretty exposed as there's no rear on the fitting and loose wires / exposed terminals... maybe it's earthing at the light itself against the metal body work?

Edited by bacardincoke

ATK

Just checked that and it’s not doing that.

maybe the circuit relies on the switch to turn it off rather than on, so in otherwords its an open circuit if no switch is fitted/disconnected?