• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rikky

205 steering racks - where from?

welshpug

whats the number on the bearing?

welshpug

whats the number on the bearing?

rikky

Says 6003 on this one, but it’s had the inner race ground right down and is barely visible. I imagine that’s what they did with all of them. But an imperial one will fit if you can justify the cost from Canada - I’m working on it, they’re a well used lawn mower bearing over there 

over the past week I must have spoke to every single bearing supplier and only one type of lawn mower over the pond uses a bearing the right size off the shelf. 

I've got the rack completely apart, including the bottom drawn cup needle bearing. Sealed one end - the one the bottom of the pinion rests in. It’s also an odd size, well 16mm outer, 10mm inner, 12mm deep. Not available anywhere on this earth. Well, not with a sealed drawn cup base like the OEM one. Makes me laugh how they even made these damn things. I won’t be defeated anyway, I’ve got bits I’m actively trying to get 

Edited by rikky

ladderboy

Rich, did you get this sorted eventually? what was the final solution? I've got the same problem with a leaking PAS box (from the pinion) so though there should be a repair kit, but no joy. Also can;t find any used replacement :-(. Did you find the bearing to fit the pinion? If so, how difficult was it to replace? Is it leak-free now? Thanks!

rikky

I ended up getting a machine place to turn the bearing down (assuming you mean the large one in the centre of the pinion)

For the needle roller bearing at the bottom which the pinion sits in, I found a correct drawn cup needle roller bearing with the sealed bottom at the right size - think it was a HK101610 one.

I still have all the parts in a box ready to build it up - I ended up buying a second hand rack just to move the car around with, until I can rebuild this other one (with my Quaife quick rack)

Edited by rikky