• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
K20205

Wiper relay.

K20205

I have a problem with my wipers, ill switch the stalk from low speed to high speed it will take a few seconds to actually switch, a good 5-6seconds between each switch.

what can cause the wipers to take long activate between low and high? 
once its on itll work all fine but its just switching from hi to low it pauses and then Switches..

ive changed stalks and still the same.

also when the wipers are on the off position they will go down and touch the scuttle panel and come back up,? 

welshpug

sounds like the contacts in the motor need cleaning up and the wiper arms are going too low because the arm on the motor is in the wrong place, as well as the wiper arms on the spindles too low.

K20205
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

sounds like the contacts in the motor need cleaning up and the wiper arms are going too low because the arm on the motor is in the wrong place, as well as the wiper arms on the spindles too low.

I have a spare motor ill give that a go and see if it sorts the cutting out and pause between switching,

i repositioned the arms so that i doesn't touch the scuttle panel but now when its resting its too high.

what did you mean by the spindles too low? Are they the ones with two 10mm nuts? Can you adjust them?

this is how they rest now without touching the   Panel. 

70E65F10-9CDB-4672-8DEA-FAC09FEF8C13.jpeg

welshpug

there's two places to adjust, firstly the resting position of the arm on the motor, aand lastly the wiper arms themselves.

K20205
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

there's two places to adjust, firstly the resting position of the arm on the motor, aand lastly the wiper arms themselves.

Will try that mate,

thanks alot..

also one question? Would the wipers work if there was no relay in the fusebox?

which one is the relay for the wipers?

DamirGTI

Check the wiper motor linkages too , especially upper ones on which the actual wiper arms bolt on these tend to rust on the inside (metal rods inside black plastic housing) , give everything good clean up and apply some grease on all the moving areas . Greasing the mechanism often makes wonders on the wiper performance .

Check the motor earth as well , as it's under the scuttle panel near the motor exposed to environment/moisture it also often rusts creating poor ground connection .. unbolt the earth terminal clean up free from rust , bolt back on protect with some paint on top or apply some vaseline over the terminal for the moisture protection .

Blue relay is for the wipers , remove it and pop the plastic cover off and inspect the relay internals , who knows something might've burnt out inside , relay coil switch contacts might need cleanup (best with diamond file and wash off with contact cleaner) , or it might be problem with cold solder joint which will be simple fix (use magnifier glass to check cracked solder joints) .

D

unnamed.jpg

IMG_9045.JPG

IMG_9044.JPG

Edited by DamirGTI

K20205

I think my fusebox has a blank where the wiper relay goes into.?

the car is a 1.1xl, well the wiring is, engine is k20.

does the 1.1s use relay for wipers?

SRDT

It's a bypass, the relay is just for intermittent wipers.