• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruben

Switch Tachimetric relay

Ruben

Hi there again! I found out that my tachimetric relay is not making good contact , and i would like to know if it is possible to change the relay for a on and off switch like in rally cars?

Best Regards

Ruben Figueira 

Edited by Ruben

DamirGTI

It is possible but that's dangerous way of doing it .. if you end up in a crash/collision/roll over , wired like so you'll be likely up in flames too ... as there will be nothing to stop the fuel pump from running .

Wouldn't really recommend that for a track/race car either .. as in split second before the crash occurs you'll not be able to react and switch the fueling off .

OE Tachymetric relay has this safety feature built inside of it  , to cut off power supply from the entire EFI system when the engine revs drop below 400rmp in "state emergency" i.e. possibly upcoming crash event or general cause rapid de-acceleration .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Ruben
2 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

It is possible but that's dangerous way of doing it .. if you end up in a crash/collision/roll over , wired like so you'll be likely up in flames too ... as there will be nothing to stop the fuel pump from running .

Wouldn't really recommend that for a track/race car either .. as in split second before the crash occurs you'll not be able to react and switch the fueling off .

OE Tachymetric relay has this safety feature built inside of it  , to cut off power supply from the entire EFI system when the engine revs drop below 400rmp in "state emergency" i.e. possibly upcoming crash event or general cause rapid de-acceleration .

D

So , you recomend using the relay , i get it , in therms of safety its not the most correct thing to do! In this case , this is a road car , but still im curious about how can it be done. Anyway i will buy a new relay , i have seen the prices of them and they seem quite rare and expensive!

Best Regards!

Ruben Figueira

DamirGTI

In the past , i've had race cars being towed to me to help clear up the ("custom") wiring mess and get them up and running .

Stuff that i have found on them with various on/off manual switching bypassing OE electric/electronic system was shocking and outright dangerous by means of connecting things up properly , the quality of the work itself , and the lack of any added safety feature with the original bypassed (like in this case inertia switch for the fueling , or any means of fuel cut off by speed/tacho signal , oil pressure , alternator etc.) .. not to mention how hard is to work on just a two color bundle of non original wiring with no wiring diagram whatsoever .

The OE Tacho relay system is not as complex as it might seem , so yes i recommend keeping and fixing the OE system rather than digging into the wiring and connecting some additional circuits relays fuses wires switches etc. , if you're stuck and need the car mobile asap and only as an short term solution to "keep you moving" then maybe , otherwise simply no . 

Tacho relay , as most of the parts for the 205 , has gone up a bit in price nowadays .. but you can still find them at reasonable price (look away from ebay and the likes) .

Or , look at the scrapyards for used/second hand one , as other car brands/makes from the 80's-90's (Audi/Alfa/Fiat/Lancia/Citroen/Iveco/VW/Seat...) had identical type of relay it's not a 205 Gti "item only" .

It can also be repaired , cracked solder joints are common fault on them and easy to fix .. i fixed a few of them in the past , by re soldering joints , replacing burnt diodes , fixing/soldering broken relay coil winding wire .. much of the stuff can be fixed so no need to throw away and search/buy new at once .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Ruben
On 12/13/2020 at 6:28 AM, DamirGTI said:

In the past , i've had race cars being towed to me to help clear up the ("custom") wiring mess and get them up and running .

Stuff that i have found on them with various on/off manual switching bypassing OE electric/electronic system was shocking and outright dangerous by means of connecting things up properly , the quality of the work itself , and the lack of any added safety feature with the original bypassed (like in this case inertia switch for the fueling , or any means of fuel cut off by speed/tacho signal , oil pressure , alternator etc.) .. not to mention how hard is to work on just a two color bundle of non original wiring with no wiring diagram whatsoever .

The OE Tacho relay system is not as complex as it might seem , so yes i recommend keeping and fixing the OE system rather than digging into the wiring and connecting some additional circuits relays fuses wires switches etc. , if you're stuck and need the car mobile asap and only as an short term solution to "keep you moving" then maybe , otherwise simply no . 

Tacho relay , as most of the parts for the 205 , has gone up a bit in price nowadays .. but you can still find them at reasonable price (look away from ebay and the likes) .

Or , look at the scrapyards for used/second hand one , as other car brands/makes from the 80's-90's (Audi/Alfa/Fiat/Lancia/Citroen/Iveco/VW/Seat...) had identical type of relay it's not a 205 Gti "item only" .

It can also be repaired , cracked solder joints are common fault on them and easy to fix .. i fixed a few of them in the past , by re soldering joints , replacing burnt diodes , fixing/soldering broken relay coil winding wire .. much of the stuff can be fixed so no need to throw away and search/buy new at once .

D

Yes i understand! I actually found a relay and i fitted it in and it works just nice!!! Thanks for the advice!