• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wallby

Dash Illumination

Wallby

So the dash does not light up on my GTi track car, not a massive issue as I very rarely drive it in the dark, but very annoying when I do, so trying to fix the issue.

After looking through the Haynes wiring diagrams and reading plenty of old topics on here, I've pulled the dash apart and had a look. 

The first thing I wanted to check was the dimmer switch, except there is no dimmer switch! This is probably the issue, but I cannot find any wiring for it. I know this car has had wiring removed previously, but most of the other lighting bits are there.

Things don't seem to add up between the Haynes diagram and what's in the car (it's an 88 1.9 GTi). Haynes says fusebox connection V2 is for the dimmer, however wires from v1 and V2 go to a grey square connector behind the dash - looks to be rear screen demister button.

And looking at the 'instrument panel explained' page on the main site, wire 25 from connector b3 on the instrument panel goes to K4 on the fusebox, which is not getting power.

I'm a bit confused and starting to run out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

Wallby

Got this sorted now so will update for anyone having similar troubles in the future.

The dash illumination wire (green 25) goes from the green conector behind the cluster, to fuseboard connector K4. This is then connected to connector H1 within the fuseboard. This is the wire I found cut, so assume it goes to the dimmer switch. 12V to H1 lights up the dash!

• Thanks 2