• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

driversdomainuk

Roll Cage Options

driversdomainuk

Hi All

I complete in road going class in my very clean, original looking 205 (hill climbs). So I don't need a cage. However, I am looking at increasing the strength and safety of the car, and when competing generally prefer harness and competition seat to a standard seat and seatbelt set up, but wouldn't have such in a car without a cage.

I don't want to butcher the car, and anyway I can't take the interior out anyway. So what do I do?

1. Go for a rear cage only - not as safe as a full cage, but better than standard, and stops the butchering. (are they safe/recommended?) 

2. Have a full cage, and somehow have it to nicely fit with the original bits in, door cards, handles, carpet etc... (is this easy to do?)

Thanks

Rob

petert

It's near impossible to keep a car nice and fit a cage. Buy another shell that means less to you and race that. Full welded in cage, is the only way to make it stiffen up. It will still twist with a bolt in cage.

X-mo

Got a 10-point bolt in OMP cage fitted to my 205 street car. Even with the additional flange protection all of the stock interior stayed the same except some small cut outs in the carpet.

Edited by X-mo
  • Like 1

Canadian dave

Similar to what Peter said. If you want it to be safe there will be some butchery. I have had the safety devices challenge spec cage for along time in my car. I changed to weld in double door bars and front anti intrusion bars, but other than that its bolt in. The dash gets butchered, but not much else. The difference it makes to how the car feels is night and day. As soon as I put mine in the car it felt instantly so planted and solid. I can deal with the butchery due to the massive improvement in the car.

driversdomainuk

Thanks guys. My prior 205 had a welded cage in, and I flipped it over on track (and drove it home after!!) so I know how good a cage can be.  I don't mind a bit of butchery, but equally dont want to rip up carpets and cut bits of dashboard.

I was quoted £1700 + vat for Safety Devices to supply and fit cage, and have it designed to my spec so it sits in between rear seats fine, andas much as possible looks like a factory fit. They want an extra £40 p/h to take the interior out where needed, and so budgeted £2,500 all in...