• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adam205STDT

205 STDT Fuel Gauge flicker

Adam205STDT

Hi all , 

I'm new to the site so please forgive any breach in etiquette! 

I am a new owner of a 205 STDT 1.8 XUD7T.

I am having trouble with the Fuel Gauge and the Rev Gauge .

The fuel gauge flickers wildly from full to half to empty quite randomly and sometimes seemingly is affected by acceleration.

I removed the fuel sender to check the plug and wires and all seemed good. I did find the sender covered in a very sticky greasy residue , most of which I managed to clean off and I could hear the float moving freely inside.
When I bought the car , the chap suggested that it was likely the “voltage stabiliser” on the clocks that may need to be replaced. I am

not familiar with this , where to find it and where to source a new one (the right one). 

the Rev Gauge does not work at all and as yet I have not had the opportunity to delve into that quite yet. 

I did also have an issue with the blower fan not working at all but with a bit of a clean up of the resistor it came back to life. 

apart from that she is in fairly good condition . 

any advice on the fuel gauge and Rev counter would be very much appreciated . 

Thanks in advance 

Adam 

Ozymandis

I have had this "flicker" more than once, it was the multiplug, top left on the instrument panel not fully pushed home.

Adam205STDT

Hi Jay , 

Thanks for the response. Ill be home in a couple of months and will get into the instruments to make sure everything is seated correctly. 

Cheers

pug_ham

The rev counter will be the flywheel pick up sensor, quite a common failure but not difficult (fiddly & awkward yes) or particularly expensive.

Part number is 5918 75 from around £20 new.

Don't bother looking for a second hand one.

g

Ozymandis
2 hours ago, pug_ham said:

The rev counter will be the flywheel pick up sensor, quite a common failure but not difficult (fiddly & awkward yes) or particularly expensive.

Part number is 5918 75 from around £20 new.

Don't bother looking for a second hand one.

g

This.

All N/A diesels have it fitted and unconnected, they work if You get a S/H one.

It s fitted for use by a peugeot main dealer who had the tacho to plug into it for setting idle speed etc.

Further You can use 591892 that works. Is easier to find new and cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor-for-Peugeot-Citroen-BOXER-XSARA-SAXO-106-II-2/184205243564?epid=1448810060&hash=item2ae37cf4ac:g:DvUAAOSwNvBeZ7wU

It has a different plug on it, and a shorter wire,  snip the plug off and solder on the end of the old lead, or some such splicing.

Edited by Ozymandis

Adam205STDT

Fantastic - I appreciate the information guys, thankyou.

Its great to be able to start gathering this information before I get home - that way I can have the spares ready and a plan of attack so to speak.