• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Brynoss

Mi16 Engine value??

Brynoss

Hi guys, wasn’t sure which category to put this under so be gentle with me!! 

I’ve got an Mi16 engine which I’ve had in the garage for a few years and looking to sell.

It’s been stripped it right down, all the new replaced parts have done less than 1500 miles since. 

It’s got new three angle seat valves, new hydraulic lifters, all new gaskets and seals, new piston rings, new big end bearings, ARP big end bolts. It has the original Pistons Liners Conrods Camshafts and Crankshaft. The pistons conrods and crankshaft have been lightened and balanced. New water pump, new timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

I’ve looked in other forums and eBay etc but can’t find anything recently that’s gone for sale similar.

Anyone any idea if it’s worth these days?

Edited by Brynoss

welshpug

what does it owe you?

Brynoss

What it owes me isn’t necessarily what it’s worth... for better or worse! ... just looking for some ballpark advice on what it might be worth as I’ve no idea these days.

dcc

You must have ideas of its value. But if I were in the market for that I'd be lookng at 400-500ish

• Thanks 1

petert

One of those things really, that has unfortunately lost it's value before becoming rare and increasing again. I see good 8V engines as potentially worth more at the moment, as people revert to 8V for GTi restorations. Until Mi16's become worth something, I doubt the once loved XU9J4 will be worth much. People still doing 16V conversion probably prefer XU10J4RS, so the market is limited. Even if you were restoring an Mi16, you'd want to build the engine from scratch. If it were in Australia, I doubt you'd be lucky to get $800 for it. Sadly, I wish they were worth more as I have a stockpile of them.

• Thanks 1

JeffR

If it was me considering buying it, I’d want to know a couple of things regarding the rebuild.

1. Are the new lifters OEM genuine or aftermarket?

2. Were the liners honed?

3. Were the ring gaps checked/adjusted to spec?

If the above have been done correctly and with what else you’ve replaced, a rebuilt D6C should be a sweet motor worth good money to the right buyer.

• Thanks 1

Brynoss

Thanks for the replies guys that really helps! The liners were honed and lifters OEM so hopefully ticks some boxes for someone. 

Thanks again!

Andy

For someone who really wants an Xu9j4 , then a tempting proposition, but with the caveat that unless the prospective buyer can be completely confident of the build quality, then , as Peter and Jeff have  indicated , the buyer will want to strip and rebuild. So, even with all the nice new bits, I do not think you will get much more than £500, even though there will be £500 plus worth of bits..